The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Clip-o-tron error Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hello,

I'm giving Omnifocus a spin for the trial period and was really excited about the clipping from Mail.app features, but ran into a problem trying to install the Clip-o-tron plugin. I've attached a screenshot, but basically as soon as click the "install" button in Omnifocus' prefs, I get an error message that says, "Failed to install '/Users/jeffersonstovall/Library/Mail/Bundles/OmniMailMessageServiceEnabler.mailbundle'.

I've searched for about two days, but can't find this specific issue with the Clip-o-tron, and I've tried a variety of fixes, including:
  • Fixing permissions via disk utility
    Changing my library permissions to "all" for read/write
    Installing from the dmg image
    Turning off/on services
    Multiple restarts and reinstalls

Clipping text from messages works

If someone could help me out, this would be the killer features that would probably get me to purchase the program.

Let me know if there's anything else to try, or if, somehow, I missed the solution somehwere in the forums.

Thanks, guys.

Oops, I'm sorry, somehow the file attachment didn't work. Here's the screenshot: http://www.flickr.com/photos/3366803...in/photostream.

Give the support ninjas a call when they open for business about 3 hours from now. 800-315-6664 or +1-206-523-4152. You can evaluate the support and the product simultaneously :-)

Is anything interesting output to the system.log (view with Console app in Utilities folder) when this failure occurs?

Happy to do that. Here's the console output:

4/10/12 10:49:54.079 AM OmniFocus: Failed to install '/Users/jeffersonstovall/Library/Mail/Bundles/OmniMailMessageServiceEnabler.mailbundle' from '/Applications/OmniFocus.app/Contents/Resources/OmniMailMessageServiceEnabler.mailbundle'

(Not that interesting...)

Sometimes Omni emits more information to the console, but it would appear this is not one of those times...give the support ninjas a call, I'm sure they've seen this before.

Hi

I have this exact problem. I have alerted the 'ninjas'!

Cool, let me know if you get a response. Haven't had a chance to call myself because I've been in all-day meetings; will probaby have the chance on Friday. Thanks guys!

I had a response from the ninjas (!) which solved the problem for me. Here is the suggestion:

I'm sorry for the trouble this is causing! This error is usually caused by a permissions issue on the system- specifically, OmniFocus doesn't have permission to install the Clippings plugin in your Mail Bundles folder. Let's try the following:

- Open Finder

- Select Go>Go to Folder

- Enter the following: ~/Library/Mail/

- Right-click on the Bundles folder, and select "Get Info"

- In the Permissions section of the info window, make sure you have read and write access

If that didn't help, you may want to try moving the existing Bundles folder to the Desktop, then create a new folder called "Bundles" in the same location- that should give the folder the correct permissions.

Let me know if that helps, or if there is anything else I can do.

I hope the ninja doesn't mind me posting the response. I guess I'll know if I have a metal star sticking out of my head shortly.

Paul

It worked! Thanks for posting; the ability to pop that message right into Omnifocus is awesome. I'll be purchasing. Thanks to eveyrone for helping me solve it!