The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Files such as pdf's dont show their names? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toadling View Post
I don't think there is a pref for determining whether an alias or the actual file is copied to OmniFocus, at least not one accessible from the UI. By default, OmniFocus creates an alias when you drag a file into an action's note field. If you hold the option key (I think that's what it was, but I'm not sure and not in front of my machine right now), OmniFocus will store a copy of the dragged file instead.

If I remember correctly, OmniOutliner's behavior was just the opposite (drag creates copy, option-drag creates alias.
Also, if you select Edit -> Attach file... you get to choose if the file is added as a link or the contents of the file is copied into OF in its entirety.

Tom

How LOUD does one have to shout in order to get the following fixed?

When dragging a document into Omnifocus (pdf, word etc) it looses the name of the file.

This has been not working since DAY 1. Your 'ninjas' as you call them, acknowledge the bug. Still not fixed - WHY!

I officially consider OMNIGroup to be timewasters from this moment on.

All the best

Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinky View Post
How LOUD does one have to shout in order to get the following fixed?

When dragging a document into Omnifocus (pdf, word etc) it looses the name of the file.

This has been not working since DAY 1. Your 'ninjas' as you call them, acknowledge the bug. Still not fixed - WHY!
Regardless of whether it is a bug or working as designed, OmniFocus worked this way when you bought it (which you did despite claiming this same behavior was a deal-breaker), and I don't recall any promises from Omni to change it by a certain date or release. Either Omni has been unable to make it work (seems somewhat unlikely, given the quantity and quality of the software they have delivered over the years) or they have chosen to target their efforts on what they consider to be more important matters.

You can influence what they consider to be important by using Help->Send Feedback to send your feedback, bug reports, wish lists, etc. Forum posts don't get counted. Shouting probably doesn't help.

Quote:
I officially consider OMNIGroup to be timewasters from this moment on.
The bosses even sent everyone out to play recently because it was judged too nice of a day to spend working!

This is on our list of things to work on; this change just hasn't made it to the top of the list yet.

The item with the most votes attached to it in the development database was also first requested back in 2007; it has twice as many votes attached as this change.

Lest people read the previous sentence the wrong way: if we had an infinite number of developers (or the ability to work infinitely fast) we would be able to instantly accomplish everything we'd like to. Since we have neither, we have to prioritize.

We don't give the nod to changes with more requests attached because we're mean; we do it because it's necessary.

It is not a change- it is a bug. I do not know any other software publishers that would allow a bug of this magnitude to run for two years.

Great marketing poor product, a typical scenario for the noughties.

Quote:
It is not a change- it is a bug.
It would be a bug if Omni intended it to work differently than it does, but there isn't any evidence of that. It doesn't lose the filenames, they were never there.
Quote:
I do not know any other software publishers that would allow a bug of this magnitude to run for two years.
I can only conclude that you've never had the misfortune to use Quicken or SilverFast.
Quote:
If it is such a poor product, why not use something better? I don't know about you, but I try to stay clear of tools built by people whose work I hold in contempt.

Quote:
It is not a change- it is a bug. I do not know any other software publishers that would allow a bug of this magnitude to run for two years.

Pinky, we've been through this before. The only things you've posted about over the last 2 years were this issue (your personal jihad), and the licensing thing, with a link to using Little Snitch. The latter issue seems resolved as I use one license on 2 machines. And the former, few people seem to care but you, really. The name of the file is not "lost," it's just not displayed. If you copy it out, it's still there. Heck, put the name of the file in the note if it's such a big deal.

Or quit using the product and quit posting here. We'd all be the happier, I'd suggest.

It's a bug.

It should have been fixed

Period.

Kp t f t f y dn't lk m pst.

Frms r fr ngrd ppl t, tk hk yrslf.

Last edited by Brian; 2009-05-06 at 04:39 PM.. Reason: Disemvowel inappropriate content.

Quote:
Can't find info on this: whenever I drag a file into Omnifocus I can see the icon but no details of what it is. So I just end up with generic icons with no clue as to what they are. Any ideas? Thanks.
The current behavior is exactly the same as what you see in Text Edit: the file's name is preserved, but all you'll see displayed is the file's icon.

Quote:
Displaying the attachment's name is certainly a reasonable feature to add—and, in fact, we've already added this feature for 1.7. But I would like to be clear that the lack of a feature (even if that feature is critical to some workflows) isn't really the same thing as a bug (where a feature doesn't work as documented/advertised).

Pinky, you are free to express your thoughts and beliefs on our forums, no matter what they are.

However, if you cannot express yourself in a respectful manner, you will lose the ability to participate in discussions. You will not be allowed to bully other users.

Just so there's no confusion, I've edited the offending section of your last post.