The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniOutliner > OmniOutliner 3 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Browse as Index Cards Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Feature Request: Browse as Index Cards (or) Index Card View

I would love to see a feature which would allow users to view an outline as a group of index cards (similar to Mondola's Super Notecard, but done much better Omni-style of course.) SuperNotecard lacks stability when attempting to manage large outlines and is very slow. A lot of intuitive user interaction has been ignored.

In this view all of the top level entries of the current outline would become titled index card stacks. If a topic contained a note it would be shown (inline) below the title on the card in a scrolling area. It would be nice if the card allowed editing. The card should also indicate that there are additional cards in the stack so that users know to click through and it should provide a way to browse the stack (via a button or visual cue). When a card is clicked the view hoists to the lower level of the outline just as in the traditional outline view.

Ultimately a user would be able to sort these cards right in the index card view and change their order which would be saved in an index-sorting column in outline view. I haven't thought through how to handle additional columns that might be present in the traditional outline view, but the title of the card could be pulled from the first Rich Text column encountered from left to right. Printing of the cards would be great too.

I could see ths type of feature being very useful for writers, public speakers, web designers and anybody who deals with ideas in a hierarchical manner--so I guess that would be most OmniOutliner users.

Last edited by Paul Ruda; 2006-10-13 at 07:12 AM..

Final Draft has an index card view as well and I like to use it. . It might be a nice way to shuffle around an outline structure. Is it a lot of work to do?

BTW, do writers form a big part of the OO users? How do they use it, do they use the notes or the main outline entry?

I use OmniOutliner primarily to outline screenplays, and I would love to see an index card view as well.

In addition, even more useful would be export capability to Final Draft. It looks like the new Final Draft 8 coming out next month has a brand new open XML-based format that other programs, such as Scrivener, will be able to natively export to.

I would love it if OmniOutliner could export to this new Final Draft 8 .fdx format as well.

More details on Final Draft 8 here.

Any hope of this sort of integration between OmniOutliner and Final Draft 8?