The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Cloned tasks (feature request) Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Quote:
Originally Posted by barrrt View Post
I thought about this a little, and here is my idea for a solution: triggers.

It would be great if we could add actions, at the task level, to be performed by OF automatically when a task is marked as completed. Two types of available actions that come to mind immediately are:
  • take a specified project or projects off hold
  • run AppleScript (passing a reference to the task just marked as completed)
Ooh, triggering an AppleScript upon action completion is a really cool idea! You could use this to do things like send an email or check that the action's parent project has a next action.

I personally don't like to put projects on-hold when they are waiting on other dependencies. I still want those projects showing up in my reviews of active projects. As time passes any one of those projects might become urgent enough that it pushes me to "break the logjam". Putting the projects on hold would make them out of sight, but definitely not out of mind.

So, while I wholeheartedly endorse the triggers idea, I still would like to see action cloning.

Janine, I include a check of "waiting" actions in my daily review checklist. That way I know that I will review those once a day, which keeps them off my mind.

Curt

Quote:
Originally Posted by curt.clifton View Post
Janine, I include a check of "waiting" actions in my daily review checklist. That way I know that I will review those once a day, which keeps them off my mind.
I do that too, but it seems to me that when using a program like this I shouldn't have to. This is something it should handle for me, if I do the work of setting up the dependencies.

BTW, I should clarify that I'm not necessarily endorsing the original suggestion of cloning tasks as a way of implementing this, or any other approach either. I just wanted to add my support for having some way to handle dependencies. I'm not GTD-trained, so my suggestions would probably not be consistent with the methodology behind OmniFocus anyway.