The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniGraffle > OmniGraffle General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Text rotation bug? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I just upgraded to 4.2.2, and I'm encountering a problem with text rotation that I don't remember running into before. I've got a tall, narrow rectangle; text at the standard (zero-degree) orientation wraps into two-letter lines. I want to rotate the text 90 degrees so that there's a single line of text; however, when I do that, instead of creating a single line, I just get the multiple lines rotated 90 degrees, overlapping the edges of the rectangle.

I can kludge it by pasting a text field over the top of the rectangle, but it has to be a "wide" rather than "tall" text field in order to avoid the same problem.

Is this intended behavior (and if so, why?)? Am I doing something wrong or misremembering how I did it before?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcsnee View Post
I just upgraded to 4.2.2, and I'm encountering a problem with text rotation that I don't remember running into before. I've got a tall, narrow rectangle; text at the standard (zero-degree) orientation wraps into two-letter lines. I want to rotate the text 90 degrees so that there's a single line of text; however, when I do that, instead of creating a single line, I just get the multiple lines rotated 90 degrees, overlapping the edges of the rectangle.

I can kludge it by pasting a text field over the top of the rectangle, but it has to be a "wide" rather than "tall" text field in order to avoid the same problem.

Is this intended behavior (and if so, why?)? Am I doing something wrong or misremembering how I did it before?
Sadly, over a year later, this bug is still present in the very latest OmniGraffle Pro 5.1. It would seem simple enough to fix: the text is being wrapped to the un-rotated bounding rectangle. It's a real pain!

Turn off Wrap to Shape in the Text Inspector, that should do it.

(Note that this isn't a bug, it's set to wrap to shape, so that's what it is doing. Likewise, making a long horizontal shape and rotating the entire shape using the Geometry Inspector yields the same results)

I take that back about it not being a bug; my wires are slightly crossed this afternoon.

However, advice already given does serve as a neat workaround.

Apologies for my no-thought-out-well-enough reply.