The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Mail Rule Syntax Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I'm trying to setup a mail rule, OF 1.9, Mail 4.5.

I've got the messages processing fine, but the context and project are empty and the item goes to the Inbox of OF

Subject:
--To OF From Mail
Body:
> Project Misc @ Context Home // Same-line notes too, if you are into that kind of thing Due Friday

Results in:
To OF From Mail
(Note field)
> Project Misc @ Context Home // Same-line notes too, if you are into that kind of thing Due Friday

What am I missing? I'd like it to go to Project "Misc", with the Context of @Home, and have it due on Friday (6/10/2011 in this case)

Get rid of the words "Project" and "Context" and you should be good...it is trying to file your actions in a project called "Project Misc" and a context called "Context Home" and when it can't match them it leaves the values unset, which means it ends up in the Inbox. I agree the documentation is a bit unclear on this point, and an explicit description of what an example like

-- Another Action > Project 2 @ Context 3

actually does (creates an action named "Another Action" in the project named "Project 2" with context named "Context 3") would reduce the potential for confusion.

So, for your case:

Buy some widgets > Misc @ Home #Friday

should give you an action "Buy some widgets" in the Misc project, Home context, due date of Friday.

Last edited by whpalmer4; 2011-06-08 at 05:07 PM..

So all that needs to be in the subject line? Is that what I'm missing?

Subject:
--Buy some widgets
Body:
> Misc @ Home #Friday (puts this verbatim in the notes field, no project/context/date)

Subject: --Buy some widgets > Misc @ Home #Friday (files it correctly in OF)

Thank you for getting me this far.

The subject and the body are joined into a single block of text. The first line of that block, and any other lines starting with -- become new actions. Other lines become notes for the preceding action. I'm usually creating single actions, so I just put it all on the subject line:

Subject: action from Mail > Miscellaneous @Home #Friday

If you are doing it in the Subject line, you don't need the -- to start it off, though it doesn't seem to harm anything. If you split the text as you did, you'll end up with part of it in the notes field. The action parameters all need to be on the same line.