The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus for iPhone
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Action groups? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
(I might not be remembering the right name)

Action group headings and their children are not showing up in "Projects" on my iPhone. Is this expected?

The children show up in their respective contexts.

But when I see a project (whether a true project or an SAL) and it says it has the correct number of actions available, but anything in an action group and anything housed beneath it aren't showing. So it'll say

10 available, but then when I tap the project, if all those were in action groups, the screen will say No Actions.

I've got Projects and Contexts both set to Available.
I'm running 1.6.3

Am I missing something? Is this a known issue? TIA

I normally have projects show remaining, contexts show available, and when I look at my little test project, the results make sense.

Test action
Test action group
-- An action
-- Another action

With remaining/available, I see:

project view:
4 remaining
drilled in:
Test action
Test action group (styled as not available)
all actions:
Test action
An action (not available)
Another action (not available)

With available/available, I see:

project view:
1 available
drilled in:
Test action
all actions:
(option not provided)

If I switch both project and action group to parallel, I get:

rem/ava:

project view:
4 remaining
drilled in:
Test action
all actions:
Test action
An action
Another action (all available)

ava/ava:
project view:
3 available
drilled in:
Test action
all actions:
(again, option not provided)

Remember, an action group isn't available until all of its actions are complete, so if you are showing Available only, an action group won't appear if it has any incomplete actions. Does that clear it up for you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by whpalmer4 View Post
I normally have projects show remaining, contexts show available, and when I look at my little test project, the results make sense.

Test action
Test action group
-- An action
-- Another action

With remaining/available, I see:

project view:
4 remaining
drilled in:
Test action
all actions:
Test action
An action (not available)
Another action (not available)

With available/available, I see:

project view:
1 available
drilled in:
Test action
all actions:
(option not provided)
So above, your project is sequential. Okay. I get that.

Quote:
If I switch both project and action group to parallel, I get:

rem/ava:

project view:
4 remaining
drilled in:
Test action
all actions:
Test action
An action
Another action (all available)

ava/ava:
project view:
3 available
drilled in:
Test action
all actions:
(again, option not provided)
The last one here is the closest to what I've got, but it's not the behavior I'm experiencing.

ETA: After reading this back, yes, it is what I'm experiencing. Why aren't An Action and Another Action showing? That's the crux of my issue.

Quote:
Remember, an action group isn't available until all of its actions are complete, so if you are showing Available only, an action group won't appear if it has any incomplete actions. Does that clear it up for you?
I see now that I worded my title carelessly. It's not that the action group itself (parent) isn't available. It's that the sub-actions (children) aren't available. From your next to last sentence above, I have incomplete actions that are showing in the counts but aren't showing up when I drill down.

I went back and double checked that the action groups themselves aren't set to sequential and they aren't. They're parallel.

Situation #1
I've got:
SAL
Action group (parallel)
-action 1
-action 2

In this situation when I set it to rem/ava
I get the action group showing as grayed out and Action 1 and 2 showing when I drill down past the grayed out action

When I set it to ava/ava it says 2 available (it knows that the two actions are available) but when I drill down, it says no action. It's like the fact that the action group isn't available is blocking the actions from becoming available.

Situation #2
And I've got
Project (parallel)
Action group (parallel)
-action 1
-action 2
Action

In this situation when I set it to rem/ava
I get the action group showing as grayed out and Action 1 and 2 showing when I drill down past the grayed out action. The separate Action is showing as expected.

When I set it to ava/ava it says 3 available (again, it knows that the two actions are available) but when I drill down, it only shows the separate Action.

If this is still unclear, I can attempt some screen shots.

Ah, now I understand what you're getting at. If there aren't any top-level actions in the project, nothing at all shows up, including the All Actions option! Doesn't matter whether it is a project or a SAL, so far as I can determine.

It does seem like a bug that there are scenarios where it might report that you have some available actions but refuse to give you access to them. Go ahead and file a bug report, and I've done likewise.

Thanks. I just wanted to be sure I wasn't missing something. I don't 'push' the iphone app that much, but I want to start utilizing it more. So, this came up.

Will report. Thanks again.

I push it hard in some ways, but that isn't one of them -- I almost never use the iPhone app when working a project straight through. I use it for capture, a bit of planning, and a lot of execution, but the lattermost is almost always from context mode. It's good to have an observant set of eyes in a different vantage point!