The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus Syncing
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Disk option for syncing Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Quote:
Originally Posted by whpalmer4 View Post
Synchronized with your Mac via .Mac or WebDAV.

How is that misleading?
As should be obvious from reading this forum, many have found it misleading. As I suggested above, this might be because many may not realize that WebDAV requires a server. Omni ought to clarify so that others are not disappointed to find this out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidtreo View Post
Do I understand correctly that I MUST purchase me.com or web dav somewhere to use the software I just paid for? Even apple allows for sync directly from mac to iPhone! This is not good. And very dissapointing of not outright misleading.
As I mentioned in the other thread, only Apple has access to the wired sync. We didn't do it because it's not possible for third party applications.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jginsbu View Post
As should be obvious from reading this forum, many have found it misleading. As I suggested above, this might be because many may not realize that WebDAV requires a server. Omni ought to clarify so that others are not disappointed to find this out.
We've changed the page to say '.Mac or a generic WebDAV server' to try and make this clearer. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jginsbu View Post
My suspicion upon further reflection and investigation is that some people didn't read it in the first place, as it doesn't appear to show up anywhere on the App store page for OmniFocus. And others probably read right over it without comprehending it, because as we all know, iPhones and iPods do all their syncing when you plug them in the dock, so who would have thought that Apple wouldn't make it possible for 3rd party developers to do that with their applications?

Out of curiosity, what is your suggested language for that clarification? Remember, it has to get through to people who are "hearing what they want to hear" so to speak.

We've updated our description to refer to synchronizing via "a WebDAV-enabled web server" to make this more clear for a wider audience. (A WebDAV-enabled web server is built into every Mac, though unfortunately it's not trivial to configure.)

We're also thinking about how to do synchronization with a local Mac without requiring a web server.

Why not have OmniFocus itself run a WebDAV server?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhotka View Post
Good idea. I'm not too keen on having to do all the webdav stuff just for this, but I suspect I will as it seems a trend with 3rd party apps.

Another question: How does Omnifocus deal with offline editing. IE, I'm on a 10 flight and I want to organize a bunch of projects. Is there a copy of the database left on my laptop? Also, ditto with my iphone when I'm on the subway.
And, is there a way to turn of syncing so when I'm out of the country I don't run up a bunch of bandwidth charges?
Thanks all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhotka View Post
It is quite possible to approximate this already, it will require enabling the WebDAV server on the desktop machine that you have OmniFocus 1.1 (for Mac) installed.

Go to Manas Tungare's blog page, follow the instructions there, and in OmniFocus 1.1 set syncing to that location. Do the same on the iPhone.

The upshot of this is that you can come home from wherever you were, boot or wake up your desktop, wait a tic and then sync from the iPhone.

The downside of this is that if the desktop is sleeping or off, when you're away you'll get error notifications that the server isn't available, that sort of thing.

This page has instructions for Leopard that worked for me:

http://forums.macosxhints.com/showthread.php?t=80054

I did need to do the final chown to the dav directory to enable writing to the files.

Last edited by jdrummey; 2008-07-11 at 05:39 PM.. Reason: making the link work

Gosh, I have a .mac/mobilewhatever account and I still can't get it to work. It just keeps prompting me for my password over and over. I'm giving up for now (hopefully it's just Apple's problem), but I was curious to know if anyone else is having issues.

Dave