The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Email tasks to other people's OmniFocus Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hey there,

My fiancé and I both use OmniFocus, as do a few other members of the family and we were thinking it would be so handy if we could delegate tasks to each other's OmniFocus inboxes.

I know it's possible to email tasks to your own OmniFocus but is it possible to email them to someone else's?

Thanks again,
Cat

It's possible to email tasks to someone else if they use Mail as their email client and have the Mac edition of OmniFocus.

All of this is configured in the Mail tab of the OmniFocus preferences.

[√] Add Mail Rule to create OmniFocus actions

Put your fiancé's email address in the "Allowed From addresses:" list on the right.

Choose which option you want for processing messages, and let your fiancé know, so he can create emails that will correctly be picked up by the system.

For more details, I recommend reading the "Processing Mail messages into actions" section of the help.

Does that help?

If you send email to send-to-omnifocus@omnigroup.com, it sends you back a message containing a specially coded URL which when clicked will open the quick entry window and put in an action and note. The action will be the subject line of the message, and the note the body. You could forward (or resend) the message to the person you want to handle the task, and when they click the link, the action is installed in their OmniFocus database. Unfortunately, it isn't automatic, and doesn't carry along project, context, date, flags, time estimate, or formatting of the note, but it does make their life a little easier.

If you've got the iPad app, it has a feature for emailing an action that generates a nicely formatted email showing the project, due date, and so on and has a link to create it. It carries along attachments, but the mechanism used is the same, so it can't actually install anything but the action name and note. I've had it on my list of projects to do to create an Applescript version of this facility for the Mac, but it's easier to just use the iPad than to write the code :-)