The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniGraffle > OmniGraffle General
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

double helix Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hi,
Has anyone ever made a double helix in omni graffle? If so please let me know how you created it. thanks sharon

Create a long, thin, rectangular bezier shape with 3 (or more) points added to each side (though ensure you have the same number on each). Shift each pair of points so that you have a zig-zagging shape, then command click-drag each point to expose the bezier handles and get a curve. Duplicate the curved shape and invert its horizontal axis (optional, you can just duplicate it and shift it down a bit relative to the original if you want). Get rid of the stroke (unfortunately, it isn't possible to interleave the shapes so that one strand goes over the other then under at the next crossing). Overlay the two shapes (note, I squeezed the shapes at one stage by grouping them, making the vertical dimension smaller, then ungrouping them, thus making both more compact and DNA like in dimensions):

HTH

Jonathan, thanks so much. I am afraid though that you will have to be a little more specific, I don't know how to create a thin rectangular bezier shape. I can only get a thin line but I don't know how to make the tube...sorry, can you be a little more specific. thank you so much

You use this tool:

However, it is possible that this is an OmniGraffle Pro only tool - are you using the non-Pro version?