The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus Syncing > iDisk/MobileMe/.Mac Syncing
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

MobilMe & WebDAV Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I have two interrelated questions:

1) Why does OmniFocus keep adding files to MobilMe rather than using a single file? There should at least be a preference that limits the amount of files that get added or take up x amount of MobilMe or WebDAV space.

2) It doesn't seem to be possible to syn to both MobilMe or WebDAV. Why not? When I add the one service, OmniFocus seems to "forget" the other service.

I am using OmniFocus/1.5/rc2-v77.13.2 release candidate as well as the iPhone app.

Cheers

1. The different files represent transactions, and this granularity (in some form) is necessary in order to reliably sync an arbitrary number of clients. (Having multiple files allows us to deal with many transactions without having to pass the data across the wire unless it's actually needed.) In normal operation, the number of files should not grow without bound if all registered clients are in fact regularly syncing.

2. Syncing via multiple methods is a far more complex proposition. It may happen at some point, but the current situation required much less complexity (for a problem that is already very complex) yet provided a great deal of flexibility. Please feel encouraged to send a request for more advanced functionality to the OmniFocus feedback address, if it would be of use to you.

Hmm. Interesting. When I access the OmniFocus file residing on iDisk using the Finder, I just have one file. If I access the file by way of the MobilMe web interface, the file is shown as a folder with various files residing inside the folder.

I got a little confused when MobilMe was complaining that I had no more space left, after an OmniFocus sync. I have only used 65.6 MB, so I thought it had something to do with OmniFocus and the files I saw in the web interface.

The Finder treats certain folders as packages of files that the normal user wouldn't want to see. Examples of these packages are applications and, well, packages :) If you select one in the Finder and hold down the control key while clicking (once) on it, you'll get a popup menu which includes "Show Package Contents" as an option. If selected, you'll get another Finder window that lets you look at all the goodies hidden away in there. Icons, scripts, different languages, sometimes even a bit of executable code :)

MobileMe doesn't do this when viewed through the web interface, because you might be looking from something other than a Mac, and then it's just a folder of random stuff.

All that said, I don't know why you should have gotten the error about running out of space, unless perhaps it wasn't the MobileMe disk that ran out of space but your own, and the error message didn't make that clear...