The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniWeb > OmniWeb General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Speed improvement Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I have gone through my Ad Blocking rules and streamlined them, and I see an improvement in speed for the app.

What I did was first convert the preferences file to XML, opened it in TextMate, and cleaned and sorted there.

When I say cleaned, I mean I shortened them to the minimum needed for a match, usually something like "domain\.com", no wild cards needed in most cases, I used substrings only. So far so good. TextMate allows you to sort and remove duplicates.

I then used the plutil command-line app again to convert it back to Binary.

Good idea. I'm going to do the same thing. I hope that in new versions of OW there is more control over the rules.

I'd also like to see some sort of automatic feature such as SafariBlock or Adblock Plus (with updater).

This used to be a strength of OW's. Now it's falling behind.

Last edited by frankiec; 2008-07-11 at 10:12 PM..

FWIW, I don't like the auto-update features of the other blockers. Why do I need all these rules if the sites I visit dont need them? I increases the likelihood of false positives. I prefer a smaller ruleset targeted at my sites only.

Of course, it would be nice to have an option for some people. Or even to separate the block list from the main prefs file (to simplify the sharing and backing up of rule lists). This could allow an "import/merge" option, and export.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handycam View Post
FWIW, I don't like the auto-update features of the other blockers. Why do I need all these rules if the sites I visit dont need them? I increases the likelihood of false positives. I prefer a smaller ruleset targeted at my sites only.
Because there's better things to do in life than spend time creating one's own rulesets to save a couple kilobytes. ;)

It's not the size, it's the conflicts.

Don't get me wrong, I use AdBlock Plus on FF and it's excellent. I'd love to see the same functionality in OW.

I'm just saying the subscription part isn't that important to me. So it's nice that you can use it or not.

I can see how it would be useful to others, so hopefully OW will add something to import/update filtersets from the web.