The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniWeb > OmniWeb General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Feature/UI Requests Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Quote:
Originally Posted by debuskjt
Is there a reason OmniWeb won't allow the user the option of clearing downloads from the Downloads window immediately after they're finished?

Having to wait a day is really annoying, and it's an option every other browser out there has implemented. Consider OmniWeb is one of the more feature rich browsers out there, I can't figure out why Omni hasn't already done this.
If you want you can actually do this now by doing a defaults write in the terminal.

Open a terminal window and at the prompt enter:

defaults write com.omnigroup.OmniWeb5 OWPersistentDownloadsTimeout -int 1

The number at the end is in seconds so the above will clear your download window out after one second.

Quote:
Originally Posted by troyb
If you want you can actually do this now by doing a defaults write in the terminal.

Open a terminal window and at the prompt enter:

defaults write com.omnigroup.OmniWeb5 OWPersistentDownloadsTimeout -int 1

The number at the end is in seconds so the above will clear your download window out after one second.
Is there something similar to this for having bookmarks check more frequently than every hour?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forrest
Is there something similar to this for having bookmarks check more frequently than every hour?
I haven't played with this much so I don't know how well it will work but I think you can do something like:

defaults write com.omnigroup.OmniWeb5 BookmarksDefaultCheckFrequency -string X

Where X is a number in minutes.

Good thread. I think the favorites bar totally needs work, looks very dated now. Also, it would be nice if the tabs drawer was somehow reworked. So many apps started using that drawer thingy a couple years ago and I think everyone is kind of sick it by now (or maybe I'm alone in that thinking). The unified toolbar looks fab. The back/forward/reload/stop icons are top-notch and I would be happy if they were left alone or only slightly modified.

-Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfly123
Good thread. I think the favorites bar totally needs work, looks very dated now. Also, it would be nice if the tabs drawer was somehow reworked. So many apps started using that drawer thingy a couple years ago and I think everyone is kind of sick it by now (or maybe I'm alone in that thinking). The unified toolbar looks fab. The back/forward/reload/stop icons are top-notch and I would be happy if they were left alone or only slightly modified.

-Joe
I don't know... I still like the drawer idea esp since no other browser has that.

Now about the bookmarks bar... I'd prefer it if it blended into the address bar. I think that would look awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfly123
Also, it would be nice if the tabs drawer was somehow reworked. So many apps started using that drawer thingy a couple years ago and I think everyone is kind of sick it by now (or maybe I'm alone in that thinking).
Whoa, whoa, WHOA! Slow down, there, pahdna! Not everyone is sick of drawers. In fact, I LOVE drawers! I wish I could marry them!

Here's a post about drawers in OmniOutliner: http://forums.omnigroup.com/showpost...39&postcount=6.

In that thread, people are discussing the pros and cons of drawers. Um, really, there are very few legitimate cons.

Drawers rock!

(also check out Nisus Writer Express for some sweet use of drawers)

I'm not a fan of drawers myself - not for contexts like Omniwebs tab drawer anyway. Drawers have always represented temporary stuff to me - you change something in it and then hide it again. For Tabs I would prefer a split view, as I have them open all the time and dislike the odd ungainly outline that a window and drawer makes.

A while ago I did a mockup of how I'd personally like the tabs to be:

http://www.hicksdesign.co.uk/images/omniweb/mockup.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niconono
Similar to Safari, when you click on a link and there's no network, you get a button to open the "Network Diagnostic" application.
Nicolas, I second that one! Definitely better than the current Cannot Load Address error page! : )

Perhaps I'm optimistic tho, I expect that's already planned.

Soo ... I guess I'm the only one who wishes that the "tabs" could be split off into an entire separate window, like the bookmarks bar?

You could move it out of the way more easily.

It could be made quite large without making OmniWeb just huge.

Drawers slow down stuff like window resizing, which is annoying.

It would allow other ways of viewing the tabs, like a horizontal view which would let people have screenshot-less tabs without wasting a whole bunch of vertical room.

It could be resized without resizing OmniWeb, giving more vertical room for those who use screenshot tabs but usually only have a few open at a time (like me).

Personally, I wouldn't like the interface to be disconnected like that. You would also have to find a way of making the tabs window active all the times, or else you would you have click on it to make it active and then click a tab etc.