The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > Other Omni Software > OmniPresence
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

OmniPresence file size limits? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I'm testing Mac/Mountain Lion vs. iPad iOS 6. I am very impressed with the robust implementation on small test files.

I've had a couple of apparent glitches on a 5.2MB file which happens to be my "Apple system log" where I keep track of sysadmin activities. I do not have a solid characterization yet - please advise if you need a better report on these:

(1) While editing the 5.2MB outline I get the Mac error "...filename can'be be autosaved because the file was changed by another app". I chose Save Anyway on 2 incidents and do not see any bad consequences.

(2) During the same test sequence, but on the iPad, I see this file appear in the Omni Sync Server:

MacPro system log (conflict from iPad SCD).oo3 at 1151

(3) Later I am puzzled that a test iPad edit, a new line at 1417pm, has not been reflected on the Mac. After 45 minutes I see a new file in the sync folder:

MacPro system log (conflict from MP).oo3

On the iPad a file with this name contains the 1417 new line, but the Mac file of the same name still doesn't have this edit.

If there is more documentation on how to avoid these issues please advise.

This shouldn't have anything to do with the file size. You are unable to find the 1417 line on the Mac in any version of the file? If that's the case then your files would appear to be out of sync and that is an issue we would very much like more info on.

Conflict copies will be created any time OmniPresence believes it is in a conflicting situation. The "...filename can'be be autosaved because the file was changed by another app" error can certainly result in this. I'm not sure I have a good explanation for it as I occasionally run into it in various apps for unknown reasons. If you are able to cause this frequently, it would be good to know how.

When a conflict is found, it is best to check as soon as possible which version of the file you want to keep and move and missing data from the other version to it. And then make sure both devices are editing the right file.

Thanks, I've been checking and resolving ASAP on the error - nothing has been lost.

If it is helpful I have kept the following files:

MacPro system log (conflict from iPad SCD).oo3
MacPro system log (conflict from MP).oo3
MacPro system log.oo3

It was not apparent to me what caused the conflict, but it has happened twice with this file. In both cases I had the same file open on iPad and Mac because I was documenting my Omnipresence testing.

Would you like me to upload or email?

An unfortunate issue with OmniOutliner and OmniPresence is that editor state is saved in the file. Certain changes in editor state mark the document dirty which then causes an autosave. Since you have the document open on both the iPad and Mac, if you are navigating around each independently and expand/collapsing section, hoisting, etc, you will likely end up creating conflicts when there's no change in the content. We have address some of this in OO4 already and are looking at how best to solve it completely.

Thanks Derek - now I understand the cause. Which illustrates just one challenge your sync solution wants to manage transparently. Thanks for making the investment to build a robust solution.

The multiply-open document case is completely unimportant to our workflow. But we will be sure to avoid that case.