The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Shouldn't task get automatically moved to projects? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I have just assigned a project to an existing task in the inbox. Shouldn't the task get automatically moved to the respective project and disappear from the inbox?

I was able to move the task from the inbox to the project by myself, however, that's not the software intelligence I expect.

Bug or feature?

Tango

Feature, I believe, although I was a little confused by it too (if you've assigned Project and Context to an Action, then surely you've dealt with it so it no longer needs to be in the Inbox). Press the ‘Clean Up’ button on the Toolbar to move an Action from the Inbox to its assigned Context/Project. Note that if you've assigned only one of Context or Project, it'll get moved out of the Inbox regardless when you press ‘Clean Up’. If you've assigned neither, however, the Action will stick in the Inbox.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Flynn
Feature, I believe, although I was a little confused by it too (if you've assigned Project and Context to an Action, then surely you've dealt with it so it no longer needs to be in the Inbox).
It's conceivable (and actually not uncommon in my practice) that after assigning a project and context, one still might want to add a start date, due date, or note to an action before it vanishes out of sight.

I agree.. I would expect it to happen automatically .. at least if not immediately (as Craig mentioned one might want to change certain info related to it) to do it a short period after it looses focus.. or when "inbox" looses focus ..

Related to it, is entering tasks using the quick entry .. I did set the project and the context, but still it moves to the inbox instead of the selected project and context.. I think it should go to it directly, as it is an already "processed" item and no need to "process it" again to put it in a project or a task list..

Quote:
Originally Posted by isam
I agree.. I would expect it to happen automatically .. at least if not immediately (as Craig mentioned one might want to change certain info related to it) to do it a short period after it looses focus.. or when "inbox" looses focus ..

Related to it, is entering tasks using the quick entry .. I did set the project and the context, but still it moves to the inbox instead of the selected project and context.. I think it should go to it directly, as it is an already "processed" item and no need to "process it" again to put it in a project or a task list..
I prefer the current behavior on both counts. I like manually signalling that the item should leave the inbox. Suppose I'm only partly finished processing an item and decide to go digging through another project to find a due date. Maybe I remember that the paper is due the Friday before my niece's birthday, and I want to check my Get Gift project to remember when her birthday is. I'll be upset if the item is gone from my inbox when I come back to it.

Similarly, I might quick-enter a project and a context, but no due date. I want to manually process that item during my inbox processing. I don't want to have to get every detail correct during quick-entry. Otherwise my mind isn't "like water"; I have to interupt my doing to think about the item.

Also, I often just enter a context for a quick-entered item, but no project. I'll assign the project, and the item's place within the project, during processing. But OF currently treats items with a context and no project as singletons. So with auto-dumping of the inbox, this item would be lost to subsequent processing.

That said, some improvements to inbox processing definitely could be made. I think the name "Clean Up" is a poor one. "File" might be marginally better, though it typically connotes a noun not a verb in computer programs and might be confusing. Another option: "Clear Inbox" with a tool tip reading "Clear processed items from the inbox". I would also like to be able to Clean Up individual inbox items instead of the whole thing at once.

Curt

General note: If you think it MIGHT be a bug, report it as a bug.

Report 'em all; let the Omnigods sort 'em out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by curt.clifton
I prefer the current behavior on both counts. I like manually signalling that the item should leave the inbox. Suppose I'm only partly finished processing an item and decide to go digging through another project to find a due date. Maybe I remember that the paper is due the Friday before my niece's birthday, and I want to check my Get Gift project to remember when her birthday is. I'll be upset if the item is gone from my inbox when I come back to it.
Agreed. Helps me avoid that "DOH!" moment and having to go find my action.

Maybe an automatic cleanup should happen upon quit or launch?