The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniGraffle > OmniGraffle General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

 
New User, big problem! Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
At least it seems like it is a big problem to me....

I just started with OmniGraffle on a new MacBook Pro. My very first try at a flow chart, about 8 hours of work by the way, was mostly learning how to do what to produce a page of various boxes and lines. I periodically "saved" the data but then went to "export as a PDF" and I suppose, ended up writing over my original saved file.

While it is listed as a "filename.graffle" document, when I try to open it, I get a message that says,

! The document "filename" could not be opened. Conversion of data failed. The file is not UTF-8, or in the encoding specified in XML header if XML.

What have I done? And, more importantly, what can I do to fix it? Thanks in advance!
 
Yes, this was a problem in some earlier releases of OmniGraffle, it's been addressed in versions 4.2.2 and later, and shouldn't be happening at all in version 5.

Can you tell me what version of OmniGraffle that you're using?
__________________
"Vroom! Vroom!!"
 
I'm using version 5, although the "english only" -- NOT the Pro. I just installed the program yesterday and am trying to learn it as well -- so I'm a novice user.
 
Did you get any sort of warning that you would be replacing the file when you exported to PDF?
__________________
"Vroom! Vroom!!"
 
The warning I got was that there was "another file" with the same name. I had saved it earlier, I thought, in a folder, and then a version on my desktop for ease in handling. I think, thinking back, that it was really the same file, saved only in the one place. (And, I realize I shoulda renamed it...is there one of those smiley faces knocking its head against the wall on this forum??!!??)

What throws me, is that the file has a "graffle" extension, so I did not think it was the exported Adobe pdf file.

I've looked with the Finder pretty much everywhere, and even though the file has the graffle extension, it must be the one I "exported" as a pdf file... although it does not have a " . pdf" extension.
 
Congratulations on your new MacBook Pro! And welcome to the Graffle Forum.

Graffle, like any other software, at times may be frustrating. Hopefully, you will find that eight hours will drop to eight minutes (okay I'm an optimist), or maybe an hour.

May I suggest starting with a small incremental test first. Close it, open it back up and then edit some more. This might help you learn, and it might help you know where files get hidden (put).

Sounds like you're already using the "Save Early, Save Often" maxim.

Hang in there.
 
Thanks, Rivkah

I like the experience so far. But, it was when I tried to re-open after the "export" that I found the error message posted earlier. I have hope, but almost think I'll be re-doing this flow chart!
 
 


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Big Cleanup problem -new user need help tazmund OmniFocus 1 for Mac 2 2010-07-14 02:18 PM
New user BillSiegrist OmniFocus 1 for Mac 6 2009-08-26 04:42 PM
new user with Perspective problem historydoll OmniFocus 1 for Mac 5 2008-08-14 04:45 PM
long user profile squeezes user post eugene Forums Feedback 1 2006-04-06 06:53 AM


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 11:20 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.