The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniWeb > OmniWeb General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Saving complete web pages (with images)? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hi,

it's been a while since I tried OW, and I just discovered the November sales offer. Back when I tried it (don't remember which version, possibly 5.0 or 5.1), it wasn't able to save complete web pages (including images etc.), which was a show stopper for me.
Since I won't have time to download and try it again until the offer runs out, I ask you: Did this change with the latest version(s)? And if so, with which version?

I've read in another post that you can save complete pages as web archives, but that's not what I mean; I want it to save all the different files in a structure so that all other browsers can read them (like Firefox or Opera do).

TIA
Tim B.

Webarchive or PDF are the two options if you want the pages to remain intact.

Do I understand your answer right that there is no such possibility as I described (like saving the .html as a file and all the other - referenced - stuff in a separate folder; because I'm not completely sure what exactly you mean by "intact")?
And are the webarchives some kind of standard? I've already been bitten by IE's and iCab's archives in the past.

TB

Correct, it's webarchive or PDF. No html with the linked files sucked down. If you want something like that, there are some share/freeware apps on macupdate.com

Webarchvies are what WebKit uses.

You can actually do this in OmniWeb using the page info. If you Show Page Info (command-I) it will list the files associated with the page:

There is an oddity as to how this works... If it is after a fresh reload or it is the first time the page has been loaded, all the files associated with the page will be displayed in the page info pane. However, if it is after going back to the page, I think it is just any files that have changed. Anyway, you can select all and save them wherever you want. However, it is currently implemented in a particularly annoying way as the save sheet reappears for every single file downloaded (for the entire site!). :(

JKT, am I missing it or does that not keep the page intact?

To me, it does not seem to keep the page intact (I couldn't imagine how).

Another thought: Would it be possible to script what I want in any way?
I don't care if the functionality isn't native, as long as it's feasable.

Cf. web archives: AFAIR, there is some RFC (?) standard for something like that. Is that what Webkit uses?

TB

Edit: I know there are external apps for that, but they're way too cumbersome. And I don't want to suck whole websites, just quickly save what I see.
I'm kind of tired of "archives", and already abandoned the one-file PDF method because of the same problems as with other printing: Usually the representation on "printed" pages doesn't match the display on the screen (if it fits on a page at all, esp. text is cut off way too often).

Last edited by timb; 2006-11-28 at 03:03 PM..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forrest
JKT, am I missing it or does that not keep the page intact?
What do you mean exactly? Do you mean that it just downloads the files, but doesn't preserve any folder hierarchy that would be present in the served version of the page? To be honest I haven't looked. I always Save as a single page PDF unless I need to use any links in which case I'd use the webarchive format.

Quote:
Originally Posted by timb
I'm kind of tired of "archives", and already abandoned the one-file PDF method because of the same problems as with other printing: Usually the representation on "printed" pages doesn't match the display on the screen (if it fits on a page at all, esp. text is cut off way too often).
If you hold down the option key and select the OmniWeb File menu (or vice versa - select the File menu and hold down option) you will see that Save As... (shift-command-S) becomes Save As PDF... (option-shift-command-S). Unlike the Print to PDF version, this generates a single page PDF so the text and images don't get split at inconvenient places. It isn't terribly useful for actual physical printing as it won't fit very well to a page/mutliple pages of paper, but for viewing in preview, it is as good as it gets for recreating the way it is onscreen in your browser. However, the main deficiency of this method is that links are not preserved...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKT
Do you mean that it just downloads the files, but doesn't preserve any folder hierarchy that would be present in the served version of the page?
Yeah, that's what I mean.