The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Sending tasks via email Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Mail seems to be caching some information about the script, so if you're still having difficulties, please try the following:
1) In OmniFocus preferences, uncheck the "Add Mail Rule"
2) Quit Mail
3) Make sure you're running OmniFocus build 69712 or later.
4) Relaunch OmniFocus
5) Re-check the "Add Mail Rule" in OmniFocus' preferences, and make sure to set the rest of the options on that pane, as they aren't preserved.
6) Quit Mail again (if step 5 launched it)
7) Send yourself an email according to the format you've chosen (-- in subject or +omnifocus in the to)
8) Open mail, make sure it receives mail
9) Look in OmniFocus' inbox for the message

I posted on another thread, but will add it here:

"With our mail system set up with Sendmail, when I send an email to myself using the "blah+omnifocus@blah.com" syntax, it automatically gets filed in my omnifocus folder. The OF rule to move that stuff to the inbox of OF never triggers since I guess the Mail rules only trigger if the mail goes straight to the Inbox (feature, or bug, no idea), however running the rules manually on the omnifocus folder do work."

So is this an Apple problem since it won't process rules outside of the inbox?

OK so, strangely, running this from inside Mail.app (sending the mail to myself and then refreshing to get it back from the server) works and adds the task into OF but sending from the mail acct I'd use basically all the time (from the gMail web interface) doesn't work.

I'm using today's daily version (96726) and basically just started messing with the Mail features tonight (after the current update installed)

So the rule works, in theory, just not when mail is sent in from the outside world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleventeen View Post
OK so, strangely, running this from inside Mail.app (sending the mail to myself and then refreshing to get it back from the server) works and adds the task into OF but sending from the mail acct I'd use basically all the time (from the gMail web interface) doesn't work.

I'm using today's daily version (96726) and basically just started messing with the Mail features tonight (after the current update installed)

So the rule works, in theory, just not when mail is sent in from the outside world.
I just followed the instructions above to try to reset it up and get it working (it had stopped working awhile back) and it did work for me from GMail web based.

Is there a bug with this script? It seems to me that the rule in mail will move any message starting with '--' to the archive folder and mark it as read, even if it's not from the matched addresses.

That means it would be very easy to miss valid messages from anyone who would send it in the matching format.

reenhanced: I'm inclined to agree with you. I'll make sure there's a bug filed.

Meh - can't get this to work right.

Is there an issue with gMail that prevents mail from yourself from showing up right?

I send mail to myself from within Mail (using my gMail acct over IMAP), hit the button to get new email, and *pop*, the rule works and dumps the task into OF.

I send the email to myself from the gMail web interface (which is where I'd like to use this most of the time, ideally) and the mail comes in, gets marked as read, but *doesn't* get passed to OF. It's like email from the web just gets borked and doesn't get interpreted.

I dunno, maybe I just need to set up an email acct specifically for OF and just have Mail listen to that.

Edit - I neglected to say that per techsavvyguru's experience I removed and re-added the rule again and have the same issue. And I'm running the Jan 4 update (96750)

Edit 2 - Just because I had the bug up me bum I tried sending email to myself from another client (my phone) and it worked fine. Email from myself to myself, popped into Mail, popped into OF just fine. There's something fishy going on with my gMail web interface...

Last edited by Eleventeen; 2008-01-04 at 06:28 PM..

Hey, check the other thread on this topic -- If you remove your sign line, the mailto feature works.

Interesting but I use no sigs on my emails. I'm gonna play with this tomorrow some and see if I can't make this work.

I've tried out any possible solution listed here until I finally found that by choosing "plain text" format when sending out the mail it gets OF to work. It's simple but I just overlooked it. Maybe it also helps in some of your cases.