The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

File Format documentation Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I was just looking at the XML files in the OmniFocus.ofocus file. Very nice that the data is so readily accessible. Having said that of course, there is an a lot information in there. Any chance of documenting for the public what is in the files?

For example, is there central information store for projects, folders and contexts?

Also, is there a minimum set of xml elements an action must contain for OF to read it and work with it properly?

Thanks.

Some of this has been discussed over in the Extras forum: http://forums.omnigroup.com/showthread.php?t=9359

Depending on what you're doing with the OmniFocus data, you may find it easier to work with the OmniFocus AppleScript library (which can also be accessed via bridges from Ruby, Python and Objective-C, I think) than to program to the file format directly. That way you can let OmniFocus deal with the nitty gritty details of transaction ids and whatnot, while you code to projects and contexts.

We offer tech support for our AppleScript libraries and try to keep them backwards compatible with previous versions as much as possible. We will also try to answer specific questions about our file format, but don't have any plans to document it, and reserve the right to change it completely without warning in a future version.

Thanks for the information and quick response.

here is my scenario: I am a Windows Mobile user. yes forgive me :-)

I would like to be able to use my OmniFocus data on my Windows Mobile device. However, I want to build it for mostly a disconnected scenario with synchronizing when at the desktop.

So to tackle this, the data layout needs to be very clear for me.