The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Folder 'On Hold' Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Am I missing something? I am trying to create a Someday/Maybe folder and put it 'On Hold'

I'm almost positive that previously I was able to put a whole folder 'on hold', but now when I right click the folder I only get 'Active' and 'Dropped'.

IIRC folders have only ever had Active and Dropped states. There was a thread many months ago (perhaps during 1.0 alpha testing) about renaming "Dropped" to "Inactive" or some such.

Curt

Perhaps you previously had your folder marked as dropped? Only projects and single-action lists can be put on hold. And it's been that way for as long as I can remember (going back at least to the 1.0 beta days in the fall of 2007).

To handle someday/maybe items, I leave my projects in their original folders and put the projects themselves on hold. For single actions, I have an "on hold" single-action list for each of my top-level folders and a few sprinkled in sub-folders. I then have a perspective set up that shows only "on hold" items so I can easily review all my someday/maybe items. Because all the projects are in their original folders rather than a dropped folder, I can view all the enclosed items in the same structure I've got set up for my active items. This has been working pretty well for me for almost a year.

Hope this helps.

-Dennis

PS - I remember the thread Curt mentioned above. I would still prefer some broader terminology like "active" and "inactive." I think the current term "dropped" is too specific and doesn't accurately cover the broad variety of uses needed for these kinds of folders.

For example, I have a dropped folder containing several projects I use as templates. But these items are not really "dropped." It's not like I've decided not to do them or that they've been discarded or something. They would be more accurately described as "inactive." And that same term could still be used to describe folders that truly are dropped (i.e.a collection of discarded projects that are no longer needed).

Last edited by Toadling; 2008-11-25 at 06:30 PM..

Thank you,
I might not recall the details properly, maybe I had the folder in dropped all the time...
I agree that broader terminology would be great including a 'Template' option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toadling View Post
To handle someday/maybe items, I leave my projects in their original folders and put the projects themselves on hold.
I like that, and I’ve often felt an impulse to do it that way. But ... how are you discriminating between “someday/maybe” and projects, and projects that are on hold much more temporarily? Using that approach, I might have 20 projects in a folder, 3 active, 7 on old temporarily, and 10 on hold indefinitely. I definitely don’t want to review the 7 with the 10. How are you handling this? Are you?

I don't really do anything special to handle that case, bigcloits, other than changing the review interval to fit the frequency I'd like to review each individual project - short intervals of a few days or weeks for important, near-term items and much longer intervals for items on hold indefinitely, sometimes as much a 6 months or even a year.

I also sort my on hold projects in the sidebar, placing the more important, temporarily-held items at the top of the list and letting longterm items trickle to the bottom.

Between these two techniques, I don't have any problems managing a large number and variety of someday/maybe items.

-Dennis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toadling View Post
I don't really do anything special to handle that case, bigcloits, other than changing the review interval to fit the frequency I'd like to review each individual project - short intervals of a few days or weeks for important, near-term items and much longer intervals for items on hold indefinitely, sometimes as much a 6 months or even a year.
An aspect of this that I bet Dennis does but didn't mention: you can also just change the next review date and leave the review frequency the same. If you have something that is "on hold" for now, but will require regular attention in the future when it resumes, this is nice because it doesn't require you to remember to change the review frequency back, while still saving you the trouble of reviewing the project over and over while it is still on the back burner. I personally find that over-reviewing projects is counter-productive; there should be enough time for something to actually be expected to happen between reviews or I find myself getting "numb" to the lack of visible progress ("yeah, maybe I'll work on that tomorrow, but first I have to finish my daily review of 200+ projects").

Grouping projects by next review is a handy way of organizing the review process.

Dennis wrote:

Quote:
I have a dropped folder containing several projects I use as templates. But these items are not really "dropped." It's not like I've decided not to do them or that they've been discarded or something. They would be more accurately described as "inactive."
Do you know of dropped folders (like dropped projects) are moved to the archive?

Thanks,
Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve View Post
Do you know of dropped folders (like dropped projects) are moved to the archive?
They don't seem to be. At least mine has stayed put.

Curt

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve View Post
I haven't seen mine get moved to the archive either (in many months of archiving old data). But that might also be because I occasionally make updates to my templates, so maybe that resets the modification date on the folder?

-Dennis