The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

actions vanish from project/planning view Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I've had a problem start occurring lately where, when I switch back from context view to planning view (usually with cmd-opt-r or the switch button), many but not all of my actions are not there. It used to be that when this happened, a restart fixed it, but lately the only thing that fixes it is trashing the preferences file and it's starting to happen at least daily sometimes multiple times/day.

I've tried deleting the cache (as well as a few other things, detailed in my bug report), but the only thing that makes a difference is deleting the preferences file. Very annoying to lose my settings every time...

Anyone else seeing this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zedboy View Post
I've had a problem start occurring lately where, when I switch back from context view to planning view (usually with cmd-opt-r or the switch button), many but not all of my actions are not there. It used to be that when this happened, a restart fixed it, but lately the only thing that fixes it is trashing the preferences file and it's starting to happen at least daily sometimes multiple times/day.

I've tried deleting the cache (as well as a few other things, detailed in my bug report), but the only thing that makes a difference is deleting the preferences file. Very annoying to lose my settings every time...

Anyone else seeing this?
I haven't seen this (not yet, anyway). I recall a couple earlier threads in which this kind of behavior happened and it turned out to be due to having text in the search bar. You've probably already checked that, but if not, take a look.

Hmm... I suppose that's a possibility, but I so rarely use searches, I kind of doubt it. I just checked and search text does survive across program restarts. (Whether it should is a different question... I'm not sure it should survive across view switches, either.)

But it's definitely something to keep an eye on.

Not sure if this is the same issue, but finally reported a bug to Omni:

If you enter a term in the search field while in planning mode, switch to context mode and then back to planning, the results disappear.

The results remain going back to context mode, however.

Bottom line: if you have a search term in use, and you switch to Planning mode, it appears that you've lost data.

Anyone else seeing this?

Yes, I can confirm.

It also happens if you start with the search term in context mode and then switch to planning mode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasong View Post
If you enter a term in the search field while in planning mode, switch to context mode and then back to planning, the results disappear.
I've done a little more sleuthing on this. If you click on the library folder in planning mode, the results appear. So it seems as though OF doesn't apply the search against our selection in planning mode. Strange.

I'll submit this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianogilvie View Post
... it turned out to be due to having text in the search bar...
Thanks, that solved my problem too.

Perhaps the window title could be changed to reflect that the user is working with search results, in the same way that the name of a focussed window is changed. If the window title said Results for search "foobar" I think it would be just enough of a clue.

Clearly it is also a problem that search strings persist through recycling the app, including rebuilding the database.