The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniWeb > OmniWeb General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

A bit sluggish? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Quote:
Originally Posted by troyb
To those having peformance problems when OmniWeb is loading a new page. Try going into your OmniWeb application support folder and remove the file called "HistoryIndex.ox"

It appears that this has a negative effect on performance if it gets too big and gets accessed each time you add a new page to your history.

Complete file path:

~/Library/Application Support/OmniWeb 5/HistoryIndex.ox
Are thanks! That solved my problem with it been slow, now I realized how fast OmniWeb was!

Quote:
Originally Posted by daiyi666@yahoo.com
I meant for testing the speed for browsers on a single machine with x amount of RAM as a constant; not that it makes all browsers equally fast.
Whoops, apologies for misunderstanding.

Quote:
Might OW perform better on MacTel machines?
It might, but I'm experiencing these slowdowns and things on a Mac Pro. I don't have a PPC computer with which to compare the performance of mine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by justG
Whoops, apologies for misunderstanding.

It might, but I'm experiencing these slowdowns and things on a Mac Pro. I don't have a PPC computer with which to compare the performance of mine.
No need to apologize.

Interesting that a Mac Pro and 4 GB of RAM can still lead to diminished performance. What is your Activity Monitor showing while running OW?

For me, OW has been consistently fast since 5.5. Knock on wood.

I think it's Forrest who's got the 4GB RAM, not I. =] I've got a Mac Pro with 2GB RAM. Activity Monitor shows that OW uses between 75 and 500MB real memory (the longer it's running, the more it uses). I tend to keep things running smoothly by quitting the app every time I get up from my desk and just relaunching it when I return. I also try to regularly perform maintenance, clearing things which might slow it down: flushing the cache, clearing history, etc.

On my machine, OW currently has a little over 1000MB RAM allocated to it. It's still sluggish due to the CPU issues. I'm on a dual 2.7 G5.

...by changing Vaidate Cache Contents from "Automatically" to "Rarely." Now it zips along (at least at the moment). I don't know which is the default and/or how I might suffer due to this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gumby
...by changing Vaidate Cache Contents from "Automatically" to "Rarely." Now it zips along (at least at the moment). I don't know which is the default and/or how I might suffer due to this.
Yeah, doesn't help for web developers. That's why I want cache as a site pref :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gumby
The reason it is faster is because it is now pulling content from the cache most of the time rather than checking to see if new content has been posted on the site since the last time the page was loaded. In other words, you risk seeing out-of-date content until you manually force the page to reload all the content.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKT
The reason it is faster is because it is now pulling content from the cache most of the time rather than checking to see if new content has been posted on the site since the last time the page was loaded. In other words, you risk seeing out-of-date content until you manually force the page to reload all the content.
Yeah, I understand cache protocols, don't worry! My point was the degree to which this would actually cause semantically significant incconsitencies (e.g. people might have varying content but not mark it with a no cache flag).

In any case I sped OW up intensely by nuking all the files in ~Library that referred to OW or Safari, then moving back my workspaces, bookmarks and cookies. Now OW zips along. It could be just the preferences, though I have manually reset most (e.g. ad filtering strings) and shortcuts.

What's weirdest is that even things like expanding/collapsing folders in the bookmarks window is a lot faster.

I've been manually moving sections back into the prefs file without it changing anything. Obviously debugging this isn't my #1 priority.

Can anyone explain what is the purpose of the HistoryIndex.ox file?
OW (5.5.3) is dreadfully slow, with spinning beachballs everywhere, but I'd still like to know what I'm deleting when I get rid of that file :)