The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus Extras
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Save OmniFocus Attachment Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hello everyone,

I wrote a script to improve my workflow with file attachments. This is based on a script named Share on Dropbox.

I am aware that OmniFocus is able to handle file attachments by itself, but, as far as I know, these attachments are not synced across to iPhone/iPad. So I figured it would be a good idea to put attachments in my public Dropbox folder and a link in the notes field. This way when I'm on my iPhone and tap on a link, a browser opens and shows me the attachment.

How this script works:

It takes selected items in Finder and moves them to a specified location in your Dropbox folder.
The script saves these file locations in the UNIX form (e.g. /Users/zettt/Dropbox/Public/Attachments/example.png) and then takes these URLs and replaces them with their http:// equivalent.

Notes:

You have to manually change destination as well as dropboxPublicPath!

Known Bugs:

Existing embedded attachments are removed. If somebody wants to figure this out. Please go ahead, I'd be glad to incorporate your change! I'm not going to resolve this "bug", because I don't use embedded attachments personally.

I hope someone else finds this useful too.

Cheers,
Andreas
Attached Files
File Type: applescript Save OmniFocus Attachment.applescript (2.6 KB, 1167 views)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zettt View Post

I am aware that OmniFocus is able to handle file attachments by itself, but, as far as I know, these attachments are not synced across to iPhone/iPad. So I figured it would be a good idea to put attachments in my public Dropbox folder and a link in the notes field. This way when I'm on my iPhone and tap on a link, a browser opens and shows me the attachment.
Actually, file attachments are synced to iPhone/iPad, though whether they can be opened and viewed depends on what they are. This script neatly sidesteps some of the issues associated with embedding the attachments in your OmniFocus database, but it should be noted that you only have access to your attachments when you are connected to the Internet.