The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Using web interface with FUS... Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I have a personal account, and a work account on my machine. I prefer to keep all my action items in one mega-context-list so I don't have the schizoid work/personal issues I had before, but this means I'm constantly having to flip back to my personal account during the day to check my context lists.

I *thought* the web interface would be the solution to this, but attempts to access it from the second account just... hang. Firefox, Safari 3, doesn't matter, they simply go off into lala land, then finally report that they're unable to connect.

Variations tried:

ip.as.shown.in.of:11872
127.0.0.1:11872
machinename.local:11872

I can get to any machine except my own. Any ideas? Bug for me to file, or expected behavior for some reason I'm not seeing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kickaha View Post
Bug for me to file, or expected behavior for some reason I'm not seeing?
I suspect this is expected, though perhaps not desired, behavior.

The Ruby on Rails application runs as the user who launched it. If you log out, and back in as the second user, you're killing the Rails application (and the instance of OmniFocus it needs to talk to).

You might try fast user switching, leaving OmniFocus running (since the Rails app talks to it via Apple Events) and see if you can connect.

You should also test the web interface while logged in as the "serving" user, just to make sure the Rails app is running at all.

HTH (and I'll be corrected, I'm sure, if my hunch is off-base).

Check the subject line. ;)

I've been playing around with it some more, and Firefox works *some* of the time. Safari 2, no. Safari 3, no. Grr.

If I'm in the user account I'm web-publishing from, Safari 2 fails, Safari 3 and Firefox both work fine. I'd vastly prefer to use Safari 3 than Firefox, as it works better with several sites on my work's internal network. (Yeah, color me shocked.)

Edit: Okay, *this* is interesting... ruby (process 112, so it's not spawned by OF) is showing up in Activity Monitor as perpetually 'Not Responding'. Time to file that bug report...

Last edited by kickaha; 2007-08-03 at 06:45 PM..

Quote:
Originally Posted by kickaha View Post
I have a personal account, and a work account on my machine. I prefer to keep all my action items in one mega-context-list so I don't have the schizoid work/personal issues I had before, but this means I'm constantly having to flip back to my personal account during the day to check my context lists.
I'm curious: Why have two accounts for yourself on one machine? It's a sincere question, particularly in the context of your issue in this thread. Is it possible that having 2 accounts creates more problems than it solves? Why not simply have one account for yourself, with access to all of your items, regardless of your purpose (personal/work) at the time?

Just food for thought. :-)