The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus for iPhone
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Tasks don't always show up until restarting app Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Using the iPhone app, I pretty much live in context view. Let's say I'm looking at my tasks in my "Office" context and need to create a new action. I tap the + button and select "New action". I enter in some details about the task, keeping my context as "Office" and hit save.

Here's where the bug comes in.

Sometimes the action shows up in my list. Other times it doesn't. It's NOWHERE. Search won't find it. If I close OmniFocus and restart it, the task shows up. This pattern seems to be completely random. It's good the task is ultimately stored in the system, but it's a bit annoying (and somewhat unnerving) to create an action and then not be able to find it until I restart the app.

Any others have this issue or can offer any suggestions? I keep my database regularly compacted to cut down the number of zip files (never let it grow above 100).

Thanks,
Pat

What version of OmniFocus for the iPhone do you have installed on your phone, and do you have sync enabled or disabled?

If you have OmniFocus for iPhone 1.5.2 or earlier installed on your phone, you'll want to head to the App Store and install 1.5.3. (Be sure to install OmniFocus 1.7.4 on any Macs running an earlier version, as well.)

Those versions of the apps fix a problem which could be triggered by turning sync off, compacting, and then turning sync back on. If the devices weren't fully synced up when one of them compacted, the database could get into a bad state which would cause symptoms like this.

You haven't actually lost data - the change files are in the database. They've just been added to the database in a way that doesn't make sense.

If you still see missing changes after updating, contact the support ninjas and they can help.

Hi Brian-

I'm running OF 1.5.3. I don't have a Mac, so I use the iPhone version standalone with no syncing.

Interesting - I just submitted this same behavior to the ninja's. I don't see much in the forums, but my iphone app has become oddly unstable; not showing tasks until restart, and crashes. . I sent in my crash reports to support - maybe they can pin it down...

Happens to my iPhone as well sometimes. Let's say I change the date of an existing action or enter a new action in a context. I then must exit the app and open it again for the changes to take place.

Everything is updated in my iPhone. I try to keep less than 100 projects and less than 250 actions.

The support ninjas are about to send an email to the original poster that'll gather more information so we can figure out what's going on here.

If other folks having problems like this could also use the link in my previous post to contact the ninjas, that'll help us investigate this. Thanks!

I got the email ansent back in my debug info as well as some screenshots illustrating the problem.

Yes. For example, right now on my iPhone in context mode, 40 tasks are showing as "Due Soon". However on the launch screen, if I click on "Due Soon", it shows "No Actions". "Flagged" also shows no actions, though 8 items are flagged and showing as flagged on the desktop app. (closing, relaunching, syncing on both iPhone and desktop did not make this problem go away). This kind of stuff is really pre-beta behavior. I'm stunned that I was charged $20 for an app so full of bugs.:mad::(

Last edited by ToddBurger; 2009-10-17 at 07:58 PM.. Reason: punctuation

Todd, if you open settings from the main app screen, is "in contexts, show" set to either Available or Next?

If so, does changing the setting to "Remaining" cause the flagged actions you'd expect to see to become visible?

I'm pretty sure I know what's causing your Due Soon problem - the main screen of the app will show a "Due Soon" (or "Overdue" badge) before the start date/time for the actions has arrived. This is inconsistent with the way the Mac app behaves, and with the way the list on the next screen behaves.

Looking at the development database, a fix for that bug was checked in. It wasn't quite in time to be included in the 1.5.3 release of the iPhone app, but it's on the way.

Last edited by Brian; 2009-10-20 at 04:13 PM.. Reason: separate out the two issues