The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Repeating projects scheduling due dates of actions backwards form due date of project Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Does someone know how I could accomplish this?

3 times a year I must organize exam sessions for my university.
The start dates of the exam sessions are fixed, and are at irregular intervals: these are also the END dates of my project (the organization of the exam session has to be completed by that date).

I have set this up a repeating sequential project with more than 20 actions, each with its due date. For example, if the exam session starts on the 15th of June, my first action is due on the 6th of April, and all subsequent actions are due at different intervalls, until the 15th of June.

The problem is that, with the current options for repeating, I can only schedule the repetition at fixed intervals, es. "repeat every 3 months from assigned date": this does not correspond to my needs. Every time the project repeats, I have to reschedule all the due dates of every single manually, going backwards from the END date of the project and calculating the intervals between actions: only doing this I end up finally discovering the date when I need to START working on the project. This takes a lot of time!

I would need to have the option to set the END date of the project, and have OF schedule all the due dates of the single actions backwards, at the appropriate intervals.

I hope I managed to explain things. Is there any hope for me? :-)

Have you tried Curt's template placeholders script?

The script, with instructions, is available from my software downloads page.

Curt

Thanks a lot for the suggestion, I will check it out immediately. Curt's template placeholders script seems to be the answer to a lot of questions! :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sappetta View Post
Thanks a lot for the suggestion, I will check it out immediately. Curt's template placeholders script seems to be the answer to a lot of questions! :-)
The only real problem is that Curt keeps forgetting to send the referral bonus checks :-)

Well, I'd like to send at least a big "symbolic bonus check" to everyone: it works, and you just solved one of my long-standing problems!!!

Thanks everybody!

Quote:
Originally Posted by whpalmer4 View Post
The only real problem is that Curt keeps forgetting to send the referral bonus checks :-)
I've sent you 5% of everything I've earned on these! ;-)

Curt