The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Keyboard Shortcuts Don't work? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hi all,

Quick Q.
I've set up my perspectives and want to record some shortcuts for them

alt+1 for inbox
alt+2 Projects
etc...

When I record them they don't work in omnifocus? also cmd+1 / +2 is hit and miss sometimes it goes to review?

Any help greatly appreciated!
thanks

Chris

Hmm, I haven't had any luck trying to set up an Opt-[number|letter] keyboard shortcut for a perspective in OmniFocus, though I can successfully bind them to other functions if I do it via System Preferences. Smells like there might be a bug in there...

Ahhh.. I see, It doesn't seem to work setting them with the shift key either!

Which ones are good to use for now that work?

Chris - the Apple text system uses "Option plus <some key>" to let you type other characters that don't appear on the keyboard keys. For example, holding down the Option key and hitting "1" will get you a "¡" character. That's why those shortcuts aren't working - the text system is using them for something else.

With the command keys, you'll see it work if the app you're typing that character in isn't using the keyboard shortcut for it's own purposes. In the cases where OmniFocus doesn't appear, it's because the application uses that keyboard shortcut already.

In case it helps, I use "Command-F6" for my clipping shortcut. It's easy to type, and other apps don't tend to have it assigned to something else...

That explanation of why "option + <key>" doesn't work is only partially satisfying.

OmniWeb is certainly an active participant in the Apple text system as I fill in this form, yet if I use System Preferences to bind option-A to something like Dashboard, I can use option-A as I type with no problem. Also, I can set up option-A as my OmniFocus quick entry short cut!

Thanks for the replies. I'll leave that discussion to you guys :)
For any others who have experienced this too Ive found some working shortcuts that suit me well

fn + I = inbox
fn + P = project
fn + C = context
Etc....

Hope this helps someone else too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whpalmer4 View Post
That explanation of why "option + <key>" doesn't work is only partially satisfying.

OmniWeb is certainly an active participant in the Apple text system as I fill in this form, yet if I use System Preferences to bind option-A to something like Dashboard, I can use option-A as I type with no problem. Also, I can set up option-A as my OmniFocus quick entry short cut!
There are a couple of things going on here.

One is that it appears there is a bug where setting a keystroke on a Perspective may not work until you've popped down the Perspectives menu once.

The other is that unless a keyboard equivalent has at least Command or Control set as modifiers, it will fail to work in certain cases (beyond typing, which you'd expect.)

To prevent frustration, we should probably require that your Perspective shortcuts require at least the Command or Control modifier keys, so that they'll work everywhere. (And fix the bug mentioned above too.)

—Jim

Seems like a good place to ask...

Is there any way to set a keyboard shortcut for the All Items perspective? I use this constantly when I'm searching for something, but it's not in the Perspectives window.

Thanks,
Robin

Yes. Go the System Preferences, the Keyboard preferences, select the Keyboard Shortcuts section, click the "+" button in the middle, select OmniFocus as the application (instead of All Applications), type in All Items as the menu title, and enter your chosen shortcut.