The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Aliases, links, or what? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
We had a wall built and I need to pay the structural engineer.

Building the wall is a project, and paying the engineer is an action within that.
The context is 'Write', since I have to post him a cheque.

However, I'd also like to have a 'Money Payable' and a 'Money Due to Me' project, and so I've created a project for each.

So I'd love to have an alias of the engineer bill, or a linked action in 'Money Payable', as well.

I could have 'Money Payable/Due' as contexts, but that doesn't feel right.

Any coaching available?

tia

peter

From my perspective, the project isn't done until you get paid. I'd create a sub-context called Waiting > Accounts Receivable and assign the action in there.

I guess I'd need to create a top-level Context <Bills Payable> to balance this.

...but bills payable should really be contexted as 'Mail' or 'Online' or 'errands'

Come to think of it, so should Accounts Receivable!

ie. I need to wait for A, write to B, phone C

I'm still not clear, and thanks for suggestion

I agree that a project isn't finished till its paid for, and I also think that payments and collections all require different contexts - so I lose that facility if I make them contexts themselves.

ISTM that I therefore need two items - a completion item that can be contexted as payable or receivable, and an action item that does the payments and receipts.

... but duplication of jobs is something I'd like to avoid!

In Mori <sorry> any item can be aliased. Perhaps this could be a suggestion for the developer(s)?

peter

Last edited by peterlemer; 2008-09-13 at 07:31 AM.. Reason: third thoughts