The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Understanding Folder Behavior Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hi all,

I've been using OmniFocus for many years, and I love it. Though, perhaps ironically, I still don't completely understand it. I am not a power user by any stretch of the imagination.

My question is this: What happens to folders when all the actions in those folders have been completed?

For example, I just recently sold a house and I had a folder called "Sell House" with a bunch of projects tucked into it (like "Landscaping", "Staging", "New Floors", etc"). The house is now sold and all those projects are completed. But the folder "Sell House" is still visible in the left pane (I forget the name of that). I was very satisfied when I completed every project in the folder. And I expected to be able to select the folder and mark it completed too. But I cannot.

I'm wondering what the correct protocol is here. I'm not likely to be selling a house soon, so it makes no sense to leave that folder. But when I select to delete it, OmniFocus cautions me that I'll lose that data.

How does one proceed??

Thanks!

You can mark folders as Dropped, which will hide them (and their contents) from sight (unless you are view Dropped items, of course). Click on the folder in the sidebar to select it, then Edit->Status->Dropped, or right-click and select Dropped on the pop-up menu.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcibiades View Post
I'm wondering what the correct protocol is here. ... it makes no sense to leave that folder. But when I select to delete it, OmniFocus cautions me that I'll lose that data.

How does one proceed??
I manually move such folders to my Archives database and then delete them from the currently active OF database.

* BE CAREFUL -- On doing this with nested folders, a bug in OF will fill the Archive side pane with an expansion of the entire folder sub-structures immediately at its topmost level. Arrghhhh!

* I wish that OF would allow the Move Old Data to Archive to do this manual process automatically (ie, Move Selected Folders to Archive). Ughhh!

(both of these issues have been reported to support)

--
JJW

Thanks, everyone, for your answers!