The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus Extras
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Verify Next Actions Exist Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Weird. Two more questions, if you're still interested...

- Do you have multiple OF windows open? (I typically run with just one window, and the window selection support recently changed in OF Applescript.)

- Are you on Leopard? (I'm still on Tiger until winter break.)

Curt

Of course I'm interested, but I feel like I need to start paying your or earning my own keep in this community.

- I've tested in one and multiple windows.
- Yes, I'm on leopard. That must be the problem.

Do you think something like this should be built in or do you think that only a few of us would use this?

I'm thinking about using the reveal script before I click anything as finished to avoid a Missing NA, but that is kind of a bummer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve View Post
Of course I'm interested, but I feel like I need to start paying your or earning my own keep in this community.

- I've tested in one and multiple windows.
- Yes, I'm on leopard. That must be the problem.

Do you think something like this should be built in or do you think that only a few of us would use this?

I'm thinking about using the reveal script before I click anything as finished to avoid a Missing NA, but that is kind of a bummer.
I'll upgrade to Leopard over Christmas break, so I'll deal with the problem with the Clear script then. As far as I know, the Verify script works fine on Leopard.

I definitely think identification of items that are missing next actions should be built in, but I'm also cognizant of the proliferation of highlighting in OF. So perhaps this should be a filter rather than a highlighting style.

Curt

hi,

Curt do I have to be in a specific view or folder to make this work. The next action script works beautifully bur the removal script does nothing. Any clues as to what I may be doing Wrong?

thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbursztyn View Post
Curt do I have to be in a specific view or folder to make this work. The next action script works beautifully bur the removal script does nothing. Any clues as to what I may be doing Wrong?
You have to select in the content pane the item from which you want to remove the prefix. (It still may not work. Steve reported problems on Leopard and there is a problem with multiple open windows. I'm waiting on Christmas break for Leopard installation and a fix from Omni for the multiple window issue.)

Curt

Quote:
Originally Posted by curt.clifton View Post
I can't duplicate that problem, but did uncover one that seems to have crept in with recent changes to OF. Try this version to see if it is any better: Attachment 386
I love this script but for some reason the Clear “Missing NA” Suffixes.scpt is not working for me either.

Just downloaded a fresh copy from Curt's website and had no trouble getting it to clear the "Missing NA" suffixes. You do have to select the projects on which you want it to operate in the outline pane before running the script, or it will not do anything. Also, if you've added anything to the end of the name, it won't match.

I'll propose a slight change to Curt's script which makes it perhaps a bit more forgiving:

Replace

Code:
			set theSelectedItems to value of selected trees of content
			repeat with anItem in theSelectedItems
with

Code:
			if ((count of theSelectedItems) < 1) then
				set theSelectedItems to value of trees of content
			end if
With this change in place, if you run the script without anything selected, it will operate on the entire database instead of silently doing nothing.

Strange I downloaded the latest again just to make sure 0.5.2
http://www.rose-hulman.edu/~clifton/...e.html#PopTemp

Code:
(*
	This script takes the currently selected actions or projects and simply strips the Missing NA prefix added by the Verify Next Actions Exist script.

version 0.1, by Curt Clifton

Copyright © 2007, Curtis Clifton

All rights reserved.

Redistribution and use in source and binary forms, with or without modification, are permitted provided that the following conditions are met:

• Redistributions of source code must retain the above copyright notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer.

• Redistributions in binary form must reproduce the above copyright notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer in the documentation and/or other materials provided with the distribution.

THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED BY THE COPYRIGHT HOLDERS AND CONTRIBUTORS "AS IS" AND ANY EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE ARE DISCLAIMED. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE COPYRIGHT OWNER OR CONTRIBUTORS BE LIABLE FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, EXEMPLARY, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES (INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, PROCUREMENT OF SUBSTITUTE GOODS OR SERVICES; LOSS OF USE, DATA, OR PROFITS; OR BUSINESS INTERRUPTION) HOWEVER CAUSED AND ON ANY THEORY OF LIABILITY, WHETHER IN CONTRACT, STRICT LIABILITY, OR TORT (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE OR OTHERWISE) ARISING IN ANY WAY OUT OF THE USE OF THIS SOFTWARE, EVEN IF ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGE.

version 0.5.2: Unchanged
	version 0.1.1: Fixed bug that was exposed by OmniFocus 1.1
	version 0.1: Original release
*)

property missingNASuffix : "Missing NA"
property missingNADelimiter : "—"
property suffixToStrip : missingNADelimiter & missingNASuffix
property suffixLength : count of suffixToStrip

tell application "OmniFocus"
	tell front document
		tell document window 1
			if ((count of theSelectedItems) < 1) then
				set theSelectedItems to value of trees of content
			end if
				tell anItem
					if (name ends with suffixToStrip) then
						set newName to rich text 1 thru (-1 * (suffixLength + 1)) of (get name)
						set name to newName
					end if
				end tell
			end repeat
		end tell
	end tell
end tell
I get the following error when I input that code over the other. The script didn't work for me even if I had one project selected with "--Missing NA" or all the projects selected so I am not sure what I am doing wrong.

"AppleScript reported the following error:
OmniFocus got an error: Can’t get name of value of tree 1 of content of document window id 14019 of document id "kDvIEdy2bv-"."

Thank you for helping me.

Also I notice that the latest version of "Verify Next Action Exists" doesn't populate the projects it found like it did before but instead tells you to search for them. The former must have run into problems or something on someones system.

Hmm, I thought I tested that code, but perhaps I missed something.

Curt's script should work, unmodified, if you use it correctly. I notice that you typed "--Missing Actions" in your message, but the script actually looks for "—Missing Actions" and won't match the other. Maybe an earlier version of the Verify Next Actions Exist script used "--", or you changed it?

Getting the suggestion to search for projects with Missing NA just means that you had more than 10 projects that were missing next actions.

Hello,

I've heavily modified Curt's Excellent Find Next Actions Script. Here are some of the changes:
-Running the script will find missing NA and also clear them.
-Added Flashy Icons for Growl Notifications.
-If a project is changed from the Active status, Missing NA's will be cleared.

This version of the script treats the following as missing a next action:
Project must be active
Project missing an action
Action Group treated as a mini project
Action Group missing an action
Action missing a context

Curt gave me his blessing to release this modified version.

On a side note: OmniFocus changed the Stalled Projects filter to catch almost all of the things the Missing NA script catches. It's quite splendid. Here are the things that this script catches that the OmniFocus Stalled Projects filter does not:

Projects or action groups with 1 action that does not have a context assigned
Action group with no child actions.

--10/09/11
• Added support for Growl 1.3 notifications
• Included helper script for moving file to the OmniFocus scripts folder

Enjoy:
Find Stalled Script

Last edited by SpiralOcean; 2011-10-09 at 06:17 PM..