The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Newbie question about repeating and restarting Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I'm trying to use OmniFocus for many things, but one of them is to have a Physical Therapy routine pop into the Due Today group every 4 hours (I broke my shoulder 3 months ago and have to keep up with this in order to avoid frozen shoulder). I keep trying different set ups for this little need, but sometimes they work and sometimes I don't know why they don't work. I try to set it up so they either repeat or restart after completion (checking them off).

Also, if I do this I also end up with a lot of "completed" actions filling up space. I know I can "turn their visibility off" with certain changes in OF, but I'd really like them to totally disappear forever. Sometimes if I delete them (as opposed to checking them off as completed) then I've deleted them completely and they stop repeating.

I admit I'm just wildly trying set ups, but am hoping that someone else has had these two problems: 1. getting something to repeat after completion 2. getting rid of the completed Actions.

Thankss

If you create a project that contains the exercise tasks - try these settings on the project (not the tasks) itself - this is from memory, the names may differ slightly:

- project completes when last task completes - checked
- start time: now
- due time: 1 hour from now
- repeat: start again after 3 hrs

You can try this with minutes instead of hours to see if does what you want and then change it back to hours afterwards.

What should happen is that when you complete the the final exercise in the project, the project completes and a new copy is created with all the exercises unchecked. The new project will have a start time 3hrs in the future and a due time 4 hrs in the future. You don't need much sleep do you? :-)

As for all the completed tasks lingering, this is by design so you can view completed work if you need. Change your view settings to available/remaining and just ignore them. Omnifocus will ask you if you want to purge (archive) old completed tasks every month (I think) and they don't consume much space.

I have a very similar project after damaging my rotator cuff :-(

Last edited by psidnell; 2011-12-30 at 03:22 PM.. Reason: Clarity

No Omnifocus suggestions, just empathy.

Quick move during an ice hockey game = rotator cuff injury. 6 months later... frozen shoulder. It took 2 1/2 years to heal (no gym, no ice hockey). Painful physio did nadda. During an www search, I discovered one study that suggested physio on frozen shoulder prolongs the injury.

Speedy recovery guys!

Yep. Climbing injury for me. At the physio stage, hoping to avoid surgery.

Using omnifocus to remind me to go do weird stuff with a giant rubber band.