The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Automator can't open OF [Bug: please email support ninjas] Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
The following is working fine in a "Run Applescript" action on my system. Leopard 10.5.1, Omnifocus 97569

Code:
on run {input, parameters}

tell application "OmniFocus"
		activate
	end tell

return input
end run

What the? Now it's working for me too, again, but only when run from automator. When saved as an Automator app and run, the scripts with activate make the workflow stop silently. If I take out the activate lines they work fine. This is driving me nuts!

Last edited by Craig; 2008-02-11 at 08:31 AM..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig View Post
When saved as an Automator app and run, the scripts with activate make the workflow stop silently.
Again,
Code:

activate
	end tell
	return input
end run
saved and run as an .app works fine on my system ...

I would try rebuilding the automator action afresh, and perhaps taking a broader view of what might be going wrong ...

This workflow saved as an app does not work on my system.

Script works when I press play on that action; Workflow works when I press play on the Automator window; but workflow fails at the script step when launched as an app.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture.jpg
Views:	387
Size:	14.8 KB
ID:	477  

The JPG is too small to read, I'm afraid ...

Oops, didn't know the forum would smallify the image.

Here are the three steps in the workflow:

Code:
ASK FOR CONFIRMATION
Check for voicemail messages.

RUN APPLESCRIPT
		activate
		tell default document
			tell front document window
				set perspective name to "out of office"
			end tell
		end tell
	end tell
	tell application "iCal" to activate
	return input
end run

ASK FOR CONFIRMATION
Sync out-of-office contexts with shirt-pocket briefcase.
It never gets to the activate iCal line when run as an application. Works fine when I hit the play button on the Automator window toolbar.

FWIW the middle step alone, saved as an .app, works and activates ical with the following:

Code:
		activate
		tell default document

end tell
	end tell
	tell application "iCal" 
                activate
	 	view calendar at current date
	end tell
	return input
end run
The problem seems to have something to do with the preceding Confirmation action holding up the flow. (You can add the following confirmation action without a problem).

The console.log acquired entries reading:
"12/02/2008 19:11:26 com.apple.SystemStarter[18] Break on __THE_PROCESS_HAS_FORKED_AND_YOU_CANNOT_USE_THIS_C OREFOUNDATION_FUNCTIONALITY___YOU_MUST_EXEC__() to debug. "

Using "Activate" with an automator .app does not seem inherently problematic, but there appears to be a problem with transferring control (within an .app) from the preceding action.

Worth reporting to Omni I think. For the moment you may need to forgo the preceding Confirmation Action and make do with a following one.

Last edited by RobTrew; 2008-02-12 at 10:18 AM..

Thanks again for helping isolate and diagnose this issue. I've reported it to Omni, quoting your findings. Hopefully they'll be able to fix it. I appreciate your time.

Hey,

I don't have a lot of experience with Automator, but I'm trying to make a simple action that will hide all open applications, and open/activate OF, iCal and Mail.

This should be a very basic Automator action, but it errors out every time it gets to opening OmniFocus in the workflow. It opens/activates both of the other applications fine.

Here's the error Automator gives me in the log:

Launch Application failed:
OmniFocus got an error: Some parameter is missing for activate. (501425072)

Any ideas?

Last edited by hexatron; 2009-07-09 at 12:30 PM.. Reason: typo

No ideas, but just to say you're not alone - this came up already back in October 2007.

http://forums.omnigroup.com/showthread.php?t=5141
http://forums.omnigroup.com/showthread.php?t=7103