The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniPlan > OmniPlan General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Entering Actual information Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I have set the baseline for all of the tasks. I am now updating my project plan by entering the logged hours and "start" and "end" dates and times for the tasks completed.

For example :

Developer 1 was suppose to start on Task # 38 on June 16 and finish June 17. The duration for the task was 4 hours. Developer 1 did not start ticket # 38 until June 20 and did not finish until June 23. Developer 1 logged 3.0 hours for that task instead of the original estimate of 4.

When I enter the start date under "Start" as June 20, and enter the "End" as June 23, it re-adjusts the hours allotted for that task making it 12 hours instead of 4 and vice versa, when entering the correct number of hours he worked, it adjust the "End " date.

Would someone be able to provide a solution for updating a project plan created in Omniplan. I am new to Omniplan.

Thank you.

Last edited by TimNickerman; 2008-06-26 at 11:13 AM..

Until we add a feature to split up tasks to represent the interruptions that inevitably seem to occur, you have three options:
(And in OmniPlan, duration is always end date minus start date, so I'm going to talk about how to make the effort correct instead.)

1) Keep the effort accurate and lie about either the start or end date.
2) Keep the start and end dates accurate and ignore the effort field.
3) Set the start and end dates. Then adjust the resource's assigned percentage to the task until effort is also correct.

I appreciate you pointing out that currently Omniplan is unable to support this feature. I was going crazy looking for a solution, and couldn't for the life of me understand why things kept changing.

Thank you again!

Any idea when you will add a feature to split up tasks?
It seems to be the only feature holding me back from ditching M$ Project.

This is slated for OmniPlan 2.0. As for when OmniPlan 2.0 will be out, we hope to have a sneaky peek or beta out some time in the first half of next year.

Last edited by skwirl; 2008-07-04 at 07:47 AM..

Looks like this got implemented. How do you adjust the start and end dates once you've set up a baseline? Are you supposed to do that under "Actual"? Or do you adjust the planned start dates? So confused.