The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Adjusting the Export to Simple HTML page layout Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
I use File > Export > Simple HTML to share my task lists with many of my clients.

Today I was inspired to see if I could modify the HTML page that OmniFocus generates. A BBEdit Find helped me locate the canned HTML that appears at the front of all generated Simple HTML pages.

Using OmniWeb's View > View in Source Editor + hacking + Redisplay, I was able to quickly test various changes. I settled on these:
  • Change the page title from "Perspective: Web Export" to "Task List".
  • Change the font from "helvetica" to "verdana".
  • Minimize the left and right margins by expanding the table width from 80% to 95%.
  • Tighten up the table by decreasing cell padding: 4pt -> 3pt vertical, 8pt -> 4pt horizontal.
  • Emphasize the difference between task descriptions and notes by displaying the notes in italics.
There are two more changes I'd like, but OmniWeb's generated HTML doesn't provide sufficient CSS hooks:
  • Hide the extraneous project name column by setting the text color to white-on-white.
  • Set the Due Date column to no wrap so lines with dates are not double-height.
I realize I'll need to reapply my hacks for each new OmniFocus release:
  1. Right-click on the OmniFocus app & choose Show Package Contents.
  2. Navigate to the Content > Resources > English.lproj folder.
  3. Check for updates to officlal HTMLExportHeader.html file & integrate those changes into my modified file.
  4. Replace the official HTMLExportHeader.html file with my modified file.
I've attached my modified HTMLExportHeader.html file (derived from OmniFocus 1.9.4).

-- Ward
Attached Files
File Type: zip HTMLExportHeader.html.zip (4.5 KB, 695 views)

Last edited by Ward; 2012-02-11 at 12:35 PM.. Reason: Reattach file which disappeared.