The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniGraffle > OmniGraffle General
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Object Resizing - Scaling Attributes Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I've drawn an object too small on the canvas. It looks right at that scale, but when I resize the whole object to a more appropriate size, it doesn't look right anymore. The reason is that the line thicknesses and font sizes are not scaled with the overall object size. Thus doubling the size of the object makes the relative line thicknesses and font sizes half as large relative to the overall object.

This seems like a feature graffle would have. It's called 'Scale strokes and effects' in Illustrator (http://www.pdesigner.net/Adobe_Illus...s/1_5_1_3.html), but I can't find it in graffle.

Any pointers?

Thanks.

-Mike Salisbury

Copy the object as a PDF. Paste it as a PDF. Scale that newly pasted PDF object and the lines and text will scale with it.

Because OmniGraffle uses LinkBack, if you need to edit the PDF object (e.g. you decide you want a different fill), just double click it and the PDF will open a new LinkBack window with the original editable object displayed. Perform your edits in that window and when you save the LinkBack window, the edits appear in the object in the original document.

You can watch a short demo movie (~3MB in size) of how this works here which is probably a bit easier to follow than the description above ;)

Last edited by JKT; 2008-10-30 at 01:48 AM..

@JKT: Thanks. That works. It's certainly more inconvenient than having the object attributes be adjusted separately, but it'll work for now. Anyone know if this is on the Graffle roadmap?

Since just about every diagram includes text, I can't imagine what is higher on the list of things to fix.

Not to be mean to the developers, but this is a version 1 issue. We're supposed to continually baby-sit every element of our drawings, manually jockeying the font size to match any adjustment of the object size? The PDF workaround (and thanks for the info on it) is hokey and ridiculous, especially after years.

The problem is so tedious that I consider that app unusable. I run Corel Draw in a Fusion VM rather than screw around with this text-size issue.

It's too bad, because as far as I can tell, there isn't a single decent vector-drawing app on the Mac. Not that OmniGraffle is a full art program, but if they'd just fix this scaling issue, it'd suffice for a great many situations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stokestack View Post
As far as I can tell, there isn't a single decent vector-drawing app on the Mac. Not that OmniGraffle is a full art program, but if they'd just fix this scaling issue, it'd suffice for a great many situations.
Have you heard of Illustrator?