The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniWeb > OmniWeb General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

A bit sluggish? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Is it just me or does OW sufffer from unresponsiveness? Typing this lets me finish a word before it appears on-screen; the scrollbar waits before responding. I don't want to go back to Safari, but it's starting to annoy me a little!

Which version are you using? I thought OW was really fast (latest stable release), which is why I bought it in the first place; however, I also have been getting frustrated with unresponsiveness, slowing down over time, and memory and CPU usage (latest public beta).

I have the latest version (according to the "check for updates) bit
Funny. Whilst typing this it seems fine!
I don't understand!!!

iMac G4 (1.25Ghz ... if it's fast enough for 3d it should be OK for webbing!)

If you're having performance issues feel free to contact us via the "Send Feedback" option in the Help menu and we can try and get to the bottom of what's going on. There are some known performance issues in OmniWeb that should hopefully be corrected when we next update WebKit, the rendering engine OmniWeb uses.

5.5b3 is lightning fast here. Much more so than Safari or Fx.

Not to mention that having a decent amount of RAM helps a L O T :rolleyes:

The performance of the 5.5.2 betas sucks some serious ass. Everytime I load a new page, I get the spinning beachball for 10-20 seconds (sometimes longer), and it's driving me up the wall. I never had this problem until I started using the 5.5.2 betas; I'm about to upgrade back to 5.5.1.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormchild
The performance of the 5.5.2 betas sucks some serious ass. Everytime I load a new page, I get the spinning beachball for 10-20 seconds (sometimes longer), and it's driving me up the wall. I never had this problem until I started using the 5.5.2 betas; I'm about to upgrade back to 5.5.1.
I'm going back and forth between the latest 5.5.2 beta and Safari. For me, it's this issue (with the spinning ball, which I also get often, though not for 20 seconds) and residual javascript chewing up as much as 20% of cpu when OW is completely idle.

I am waiting for 5.6 with bated breath.

Used to get this on my old powerbook 12 in 1.5ghz G4 no idea why when i first started to use it was soooo fast then progresively got a lot worst. odd.

gonna try again on my new black macbook c2d..

It is a well known issue with javascript and garbage collection (whatever that is). If OmniWeb is sucking CPU, perform a sample on the application in Activity Monitor and you will probably see a lot of output related to KJS (Konqueror Javascript). It is an issue with the current version of WebKit that OmniGroup are using and is due to be fixed once they update to a later version of WebKit. It's frustrating as this bug has been around ever since the first sp of 5.5, but it has improved a lot for me since then.