The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > Applying OmniFocus
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

New Project - Training for half marathon Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hi

Has anyone got any ideas about setting up a project for training to run a half marathon?

Off the top of my head, I could set up a folder called Training and maybe a project for each month with called something like 'Feb 36 miles' with the number being the amount of miles I want to complete that month.

In each month project, I could have a recurring task, i.e. Week 1 - 3 miles (to repeat every 2 days.

Any ideas? Oh, and I only have iOs versions of OF.

Awesome project, Stephen! A structure like you suggest is probably how I'd approach something like this. Each "tier" of your training would be a separate project, with a repeating action inside to track the training sessions.

An alternative, if you want to plan the whole thing out start-to-finish would be a sequential project with each run as a non-repeating action, I suppose. One possible advantage there would be that showing completed actions would show you exactly where you were in the process towards the final run. With the repeating setup, you could see what you'd done, but a the remaining steps would only be completed as needed.

Either way could work, though - it's really a YMMV situation. Literally, in this case, which is kinda funny. :-)

Thanks Brian - I was also thinking of putting a goal in the title of each monthly project, for example 'February: Get back into running regularly' and 'March: Build monthly mileage to 40 miles'.

Here's what works for me, YMMV.

I schedule my runs in my calendar, usually a few days to a week ahead of time. You can get training schedules from many running websites such as Runner's World, etc. I feel that the training runs are time specific commitments to myself and therefore following the GTD philosophy, should be on the calendar. The only projects I have in OF are "Keep Running" and "Complete the XYZ Race". These contain sub-projects or tasks such as: Establish weekly run schedule (weekly recurring); get new running shoes; schedule time to pick up race packet; select spring 10K to run; etc.

This is based on 6 years of GTD, 4 years of OF, and 11 marathons in the last 10 years...

The most important advice though, is get your shoes at a good running specialty store and get some of the new wicking running shirts and shorts...cotton t-shirts will make you misarable...