The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

OmniFocus iPhone, Push Notification & MobileMe Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I'm looking forward to the OmniFocus iPhone app, and I can only hope they'l fix the UI issues I have with the screenshots:

* the icons at the bottom are wrong. They're using the wrong type of bar; it should be iPod-app- or iTunes-app-style icons. There should also be text on the bottom of each icon telling you what it is.

* the Settings should be either in the Settings pane or another icon on the bottom bar, depending on what those settings are and how often you change them.

* the double-icons next to each list item on screenshot_1 looks odd and look like they're smaller than they are (because the extra white space on the upper right and lower left of each icon).

* it's hard to tell, but I think the list font is the wrong size on screenshot_1. It looks too big.

* on screenshot_2, having the "no/1/2 actions" under the name of the context is weird. I think the a context with actions should be black, and a context with no actions should be grey; I don't think the number of items in a context is as important, but if it is, it would put the number next to the context name, in grey, in parentheses: "Mac (3 actions)", and if there are no actions, leave it alone: "Errands". Alternatively, you could put "3 actions" aligned right (see Settings > General > Auto-lock), and for overdue items put the circle to the right of that: "Mac 3 actions (1)".

* there should be a search bar on the contexts screen; while there should ideally be a short set of contexts, but if the list a long, a search tool would be handy

* on screenshot_2, the icons are too small, aren't square, and having the badge for the pause (on "Waiting") pushes the already-too-close icon right onto the text. The icons should be bigger, the badging should be fully incorporated into the icon instead of hanging off the edge, and there should be more space between the icon and the text.

* i love the idea of screenshot_3, but the layout needs a lot of work. the text is way too close to the edges, the "directions to here" (which I'm assuming is meant to be tapped) is out of place, the "Office" and "Grocery store" bars should be be smaller if they're supposed to be like the Contacts alphabet dividers, the big empty boxes look like missing icons (though I assume they're supposed to be empty checkboxes), and the main and secondary text looks unbalanced; I'd make the main text smaller (the same size as the secondary text), and vertically center the text (see iTunes > Albums, e.g.)

* i'd also consider replacing the checkboxes with nothing, and having a tap anywhere on the field toggle the done/not done state (and I'd indicate that state with the standard checkmark that shows selection (see Settings >general > Home Button) or by striking out the text.

* on screenshot_4, it's mostly good; I'd align the secondary text in the item name (the URL) with the main text. I'd also replace the checkbox area with the recommendation from above. The labels should be initial-capped, black, and aligned left; you might consider aligning the item's selection ("Online", "None") to the right of the box as you'll be making a selection from a menu, not entering text manually (e.g. Settings > Mail > Account Information vs. ... > Advanced > Mailbox Behaviors).

I know the app is in its early states, and bound to undergo changes. I hope these suggestions are considered.

I'd probably have other suggestions based on actual usage, so I'm looking forward to some sort of public beta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve View Post
I was at the WWDC meet-up tonight. There were no clues revealed about the cost of the mobile OmniFocus.

Steve
Too bad. I'm curious about how much to budget for it. Thanks for the update though.

Lots of nice specific suggestions and examples to align the look of the layout with the iPhone UI generally. IMHO your post could be prefaced or ended a bit more tactfully (people are generally more likely to be willing to consider feedback when they feel respected). I have to say though that for me most of the suggestions seem in the right direction. You've got a good eye for this stuff and a knack for being helpfully descriptive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelG View Post
Lots of nice specific suggestions and examples to align the look of the layout with the iPhone UI generally. IMHO your post could be prefaced or ended a bit more tactfully (people are generally more likely to be willing to consider feedback when they feel respected). I have to say though that for me most of the suggestions seem in the right direction. You've got a good eye for this stuff and a knack for being helpfully descriptive.
Thanks, and sorry I wasn't more tactful. I've been posting on the forums for almost a year now, and didn't consider it would be taken as anything other than my normal feedback. Thanks for the reminder.

A few comments on jasong's post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasong View Post
* the icons at the bottom are wrong. They're using the wrong type of bar; it should be iPod-app- or iTunes-app-style icons. There should also be text on the bottom of each icon telling you what it is.
Maybe. But in defense of the current design, Safari, Maps, and Mail all use that kind of bar at the bottom. Maps even uses exactly the same kind of buttons. And the screenshots of the updated Calendar app in iPhone 2.0 looks like it uses the same bar at the bottom as well.

Quote:
* on screenshot_2, the icons are too small, aren't square, and having the badge for the pause (on "Waiting") pushes the already-too-close icon right onto the text. The icons should be bigger, the badging should be fully incorporated into the icon instead of hanging off the edge, and there should be more space between the icon and the text.
I don't know about the icon sizes or aspect ratios, but I agree that text spacing looks a little off on the "Waiting" context.

Quote:
* i love the idea of screenshot_3, but the layout needs a lot of work. the text is way too close to the edges, the "directions to here" (which I'm assuming is meant to be tapped) is out of place, the "Office" and "Grocery store" bars should be be smaller if they're supposed to be like the Contacts alphabet dividers, the big empty boxes look like missing icons (though I assume they're supposed to be empty checkboxes), and the main and secondary text looks unbalanced; I'd make the main text smaller (the same size as the secondary text), and vertically center the text (see iTunes > Albums, e.g.)
I agree with all of these comments. In addition, it seems like a gradient on the "Office" and "Grocery store" bars would look nice and bring them more inline with the dividers used in Contacts and in the Calendar app's list view.

Quote:
* i'd also consider replacing the checkboxes with nothing, and having a tap anywhere on the field toggle the done/not done state (and I'd indicate that state with the standard checkmark that shows selection (see Settings >general > Home Button) or by striking out the text.
This is another good idea, I think. I also mistakenly thought the big empty checkboxes were missing icons at first. It took a few seconds for me to realize they were unckecked checkboxes.

Quote:
* on screenshot_4, it's mostly good; <snip> The labels should be initial-capped, black, and aligned left; you might consider aligning the item's selection ("Online", "None") to the right of the box as you'll be making a selection from a menu, not entering text manually (e.g. Settings > Mail > Account Information vs. ... > Advanced > Mailbox Behaviors).
Yes, I'm imagining something that looks like the event edit view in the Calendar app (black, initial-capped, left-aligned, possibly bold labels followed by right-aligned values in a graphite or blue-gray color and normal weight font).

Quote:
I know the app is in its early states, and bound to undergo changes. I hope these suggestions are considered.
Yes, let's hope so.

Quote:
I'd probably have other suggestions based on actual usage, so I'm looking forward to some sort of public beta.
It's not clear if the iTunes App Store distribution model will support any kind of public beta mode. So this may not be possible.

-Dennis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toadling View Post
A few comments on jasong's post:

Maybe. But in defense of the current design, Safari, Maps, and Mail all use that kind of bar at the bottom. Maps even uses exactly the same kind of buttons. And the screenshots of the updated Calendar app in iPhone 2.0 looks like it uses the same bar at the bottom as well.
You're right, Dennis, several current apps, and a couple of future updates appear to use a similar style. There are a few differences I see, though:

* Maps has two icons, one on left, one on the right, and textual tabs in the middle

* Safari and Mail use different style icons: they're "engraved" onto the background, not on a dark blue button which is sitting on the background.

* The new Calendar screenshot shows only a single button on the right.

So, it's not *completely wrong*, and of course I don't know what each button actually does; it's just a sense of it being strange and out of context.

The app looks fantastic, and location awareness sounds really great (i.e. only show me work stuff when I am at work!) An amazing amount of potential...

I am worried about the syncing, however. The iCal syncing ToDo aspect never worked properly for me, and I realize this is due to the lame iSync engine. It is really unclear to me how the new version is going to sync with the a desktop machine via .Mac. or a web-dav server. I have found syncing of data like this to be one of the most complicated and troubling aspects of using a mac (not that its any different on the PC). The only solution appears to be server-side (i.e. IMAP for email) storage - no one seems to have been able to get syncing to work properly for databases on local machines (i.e. Chronos Notes, etc).

I would absolutely be thrilled if there was a solution to this problem, and I could update my Omnifocus data on either of my macs or my iphone and have the data synchronize properly on all 3.

I would actually pay a lot of money for this ability, come to think of it. If there was some way it could be incorporated into the new MobileMe system, that would be great too.

I just don't know of a single company that has solved this problem yet. I hope Omni has and will reveal to us how they have done it soon!!!

Quote:
Thanks, and sorry I wasn't more tactful. I've been posting on the forums for almost a year now, and didn't consider it would be taken as anything other than my normal feedback. Thanks for the reminder.
Well I'm a relative Newb and may have been a bit fast on the trigger.

I think this sort of feedback is great for the OF team to have on the front end.

I'm very much looking forward to this app. Being able to capture on the go is going to be wonderful. It has been frustrating having the iPhone with the potential of mini OSX computer, but unable to perform relatively basic tasks like todos. So this feels like a big jump—having OF in my car, at the grocery store, etc. I was afraid they'd do outliner first and that we'd have to wait for OF. I will eventually want to have outliner on the iphone, but for me, this order is a nice fit for my priorities.

Last edited by MichaelG; 2008-06-11 at 10:05 PM.. Reason: meaning

this is why i bought my copy of omni focus. it has been a long wait. july seems so far away.....but it will come!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgecko View Post
this is why i bought my copy of omni focus. it has been a long wait. july seems so far away.....but it will come!
I hear that.

It feels silly, but when I anticipate something like this that is going to make a difference in my life on a daily basis, it starts to feel like the little kid waiting for Christmas.