The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus for iPad
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

GUI stuff - strange sticky-outy bits Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
The first thing that struck me about the UI (other than how interesting and rich it looked) was these strange sticky-outy bits:

They break the visual metaphor for me. Couldn't we just have it look like the Mac version, perhaps with slightly smaller indents (I think I've made the indents too small here, but you get my drift) :

What do y'all think? Is anyone else bugged by this?

I actually like it sticking out, gives you more room for information to be displayed.

If memory serves me right (and I am getting old so maybe not...), there were a number of complaints that things were indented too much in that 4 second video of OF that was shown about a month ago. The comments were critical that by indenting that much you would lose too much valuable space and thereby taking away the prime reason for having an iPad - screen real-estate.

I know what you mean, but I never seem to have very long actions (... that's what she said).

It's vertical space I need, rather than horizontal - more items per screen, rather than longer items. Most of my actions are simple "Do this to that" or "See x about y", which don't take up much horizontal space.

This is certainly a minor thing, though, especially if no one else is bothered by it.

I think all that black background spacing is complete wasted space. If you look at the space on the desktop version for comparison (on my 24" display) it is wasting very little space).

On the iPad, with much much less space, they are using up a lot of the "look" of black.

BZ
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen shot 2010-08-01 at 8.36.57 AM | Aug 1, 2010.jpg
Views:	541
Size:	8.0 KB
ID:	1506   Click image for larger version

Name:	wasted-space.jpg
Views:	547
Size:	9.8 KB
ID:	1507  

Last edited by BwanaZulia; 2010-08-01 at 04:43 AM..

Quote:
Originally Posted by howiem View Post
I know what you mean, but I never seem to have very long actions (... that's what she said).

It's vertical space I need, rather than horizontal - more items per screen, rather than longer items. Most of my actions are simple "Do this to that" or "See x about y", which don't take up much horizontal space.

This is certainly a minor thing, though, especially if no one else is bothered by it.
I absolutely agree with you on the vertical space. Smaller font, get rid of the boxes and do it like the desktop GUI, but that is only my opinion and I can see from the threads that there are those that like it this way.

Some of my tasks get a little longer horizontally so the added space is welcome. I also love the fact that the note (if you have one) shows up in the task display without having to go into the inspector to see if there is one there. I used to put a "@" at the end of a task on the iPhone version to let me know that I had a note in it - otherwise you would not know it was there. I just wish that they would make the note font small and display it on the bottom of the task after the context so that it looked more like the desktop does now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by atreinke View Post
I absolutely agree with you on the vertical space. Smaller font, get rid of the boxes and do it like the desktop GUI, but that is only my opinion and I can see from the threads that there are those that like it this way.
Thirded!

I agree they look funny and I can see the reason why they are like that.

However, although people use OF differently. If the action is long then it can be wrapped once and then truncated if ridiculously long.

Although people nest things differently, this only becomes a really big problem when nested more than 3 times, which doesn't happen that often.

Perhaps the action could be shortened and then elongated, perhaps in the same 'sticky outy' manner, when tapped?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiK View Post
Thirded!
Fourthd-ed :D