The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniGraffle > OmniGraffle General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Brush-like Linestyle Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hi.

I like OmniGraffle (Pro) really and it is one of my most important tools for the preparation of company presentations and workshops. It's a perfect tool for diagramming and documentation.

Nevertheless, sometimes it is useful to stress out the fact, that an illustration is just an illustration and not the documentation of a specific scenario. In these cases I typically use a "Brush-Style" lifestyle. This style is supported by Apples Keynote for shapes. This brush styles for lines (and even fills would be appreciated) would stress the fact that whatever diagram has been created is just a conceptional image - not a real design.

As an example you may refer to the illustrations available here: http://nvie.com/posts/a-successful-git-branching-model/.

Therefore i would like to request some new styles for OmniGraffle:
  • Brush style for lines.
  • (Optional) brush styles for fills.
  • (Really optional) [JavaScript] renderes for line stroke-width and custom irregular dithering.

Regards,
Ralf

Last edited by Ralf Stranzenbach; 2011-10-11 at 12:30 AM.. Reason: Example added

Interestingly, OG for the iPad has a freehand tool for drawing shapes and a corresponding marker fill style. The shapes look hand-drawn and the fill style looks like the shape was filled with broad marker strokes. It also has a hand-drawn line stye, though that's more like a pencil than a brush. See the example at http://www.omnigroup.com/products/omnigraffle-ipad/

Maybe they'll migrate to the Mac version at some point.

Last edited by john.gersh; 2011-10-12 at 05:18 AM..

Ditto ... great idea, since I'm frequently using OGP for conceptual illustrations ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralf Stranzenbach View Post
Therefore i would like to request some new styles for OmniGraffle:
  • Brush style for lines.
  • (Optional) brush styles for fills.
  • (Really optional) [JavaScript] renderes for line stroke-width and custom irregular dithering.

Regards,
Ralf

I miss that line quality too. It's particularly useful for comments - it's good to have an obvious stylistic contrast from the screen sketches.

Just joining the choir.

Yes, I sometimes find myself drawing / scripting diagrams in OmniGraffle, and then dropping them into Illustrator to get a brush-rendering.

But only requests thru Help > Send Feedback ... in the OGfl menu are likely to be formally registered ... there is no regular process of counting forum votes ...
So do click that menu option and send a quick request for brush strokes now :-)