The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniPlan > OmniPlan General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

fixed milestone/meeting/approval dates Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Its easter and I am trying to learn omniplan using the trial with a view to buying later.

I work in government where there are certain meeting dates where parts of a project will be approved along the way.

These types of dates cant be changed, eg report to senior management meeting or council meeting that are on fixed dates along the way

I seem to be able to fix a start or end date but not dates along the way and omniplan tends to work out the quickest path from there.

Can you let me know if its possible to start from a certain date, specify the end date which is essentially the date where my final work is endorsed and the fixed meetings where sub approvals will occur along the way.

Just put in milestones for these assorted dates, with start and end constraints on the milestones to keep them in place on the desired dates. Each phase of work will end with a finish-start dependency to the milestone signifying that it has been completed. If you've constructed your project correctly, using dependencies and lead times to express the interrelationships between various actions, and *NOT* just specifying dates for all the tasks, you'll get violations if your proposed plan doesn't meet the requirements.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whpalmer4 View Post
Just put in milestones for these assorted dates, with start and end constraints on the milestones to keep them in place on the desired dates. Each phase of work will end with a finish-start dependency to the milestone signifying that it has been completed. If you've constructed your project correctly, using dependencies and lead times to express the interrelationships between various actions, and *NOT* just specifying dates for all the tasks, you'll get violations if your proposed plan doesn't meet the requirements.
Thanks for this