The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Can a client be considered a context? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Greetings,
I'm making the switch from Things and having a lot of trouble adjusting to life without tags.

Basically, I want to organize projects by client, so I can focus on one client and see everything I have to do for them and them alone. This is simple using tags.

What do you folks think is the best way to accomplish this in OF? Should I set up each client as a context? For me, the standard context list isn't much use, as I am always either at the computer, on the phone or on an errand. All the other contexts, for me, are superfluous.

I'm very new to the GTD methodology, so bear with me.

Really appreciate your advice.

You can focus on one client by keeping all projects related to them in one OF Folder, and using View > Focus on ... to focus on that folder.

(You can also manually rearrange the order of projects within the client folder)

Thanks for the quick reply!

Can you help me better understand how these folders get organized? Where exactly do the folders live? How would YOU set this up?

Haven't yet pulled the trigger on a desktop license, though I did purchase the mobile versions, so that might explain my ignorance. Just not clear where/how folders fit in to the OF structure.

Thankds again.

Last edited by malbright; 2010-08-31 at 10:05 PM..

Folders live in the Sidebar (left hand panel of the OF Screen) and allow you to create an outline of projects.

You can add them to the sidebar with File > Add Folder, or by clicking an icon at the foot of the sidebar.

I do have folders for particular clients and institutional relationships.

Here are a couple of threads that may especially interest you:

People as contexts

Single Action Lists vs folders

Before you commit to an approach (e.g., people as contexts), I encourage you to play around to understand how OF works.You'll find people here very willing to help and offer constructive suggestions.