The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

The Dash Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I know, I know, I'm probably not "supposed" to put dash items in a GTD-style task manager. But when I'm doing a brain-dump and processing all the items to do, or if I think of a dash that has to get done, but I'm in the wrong place, I want to record it for later.

My fantasy feature is that there is a little "tick box" or way to indicate that a certain task is a 'dash item' that can be accomplished in less than two minutes.

Then I could collect all the items that are dashes and see them in the same place.

THEN... (and here's where it gets really great)... For those times when I'm feeling productive, but I can't decide what to do next, I'd love to play The Dash Game. I click a button, and OF automatically, randomly throws a dash item at me, that I have to take care of then and there (assuming I am in the right context). Then i can check it off.

Does this appeal to anyone else, or is this just a reflection of my poor work habits?

Maybe this is the sort of thing a handy script could take care of?

Actually, under strict GTD work habits, "dash items" are supposed to go right into the Inbox along with everything else. The trick is, when you process the Inbox you actually do the 2 minute items right then, as you process. If you make it a habit to process your inbox every time half a dozen or so items are in it (this means about two or three times a day), this means you'll never have an accumulation of 2 minute tasks.

This is part of what separates GTD from other productivity systems. With an Inbox, you make a conscious choice in filtering just what goes into the big list. Things you can do in two minutes should just be done. There are other things you filter for too, and some of them may not even end up in OF. But having one place to catch everything like this is very nice, and important.

As with all things: YMMV. Oh, and another flag: Why not just use the estimated time column? If you really want to mark these down as being special, just write '2m' into the estimated time column. Personally, I wouldn't bother. It would only be useful if it was something that did go into the system. Since you should be ticking them off as done right in the Inbox, it is probably a waste of time to classify them in any way.