The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus for iPhone
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

OmniFocus 1.7 for iPhone is now available! Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Looks like we do plan to do a visual refresh of the Mac app, but definitely not in 1.8. Possibly not until version 2.

Thanks Brian!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
I honestly don't know, and the folks I would ask are up to their necks in OmniFocus for iPad work. Added to their context in OmniFocus - I'll post once I've had a chance to find out. :-)
Hrmmm, does this little subconscious slip mean that we have some sort of Delegation Feature for Collaborative Work in 1.8? Or does this mean that you have a Context for the Dev Team and a Tickler for yourself to bug them about the icons? :eek::D

Quote:
Originally Posted by policarpo View Post
Hrmmm, does this little subconscious slip mean that we have some sort of Delegation Feature for Collaborative Work in 1.8? Or does this mean that you have a Context for the Dev Team and a Tickler for yourself to bug them about the icons? :eek::D
There's no collaboration work in the 1.8 sneaky peeks which you could easily check out for yourself. I'm sure he has an out-of-band way of getting them feedback ;-)

Quote:
Obviously you can't please everyone, but we're getting far more positive feedback than negative on the new art. We may tweak here and there, but no big changes are likely. Really proud of the work those guys did.
+1 Very happy with the UI refresh! All the icons look amazing. Excellent job!

Quote:
Obviously you can't please everyone, but we're getting far more positive feedback than negative on the new art. We may tweak here and there, but no big changes are likely. Really proud of the work those guys did.
@Brian - could you just please ask the guys why they didnīt change the search icon as well? It makes no sense in itīs current form when all the other icons are put into grey squares. We canīt all like your new look but the least we could expect is that you keep it consistent. Speaking of that, you have a slightly darker border around the inbox icon, it helps it look a little sharper where the other icons look a little blurry with the outer shadow and it would really help to add the same border to those icons.

Last but not least I really hope that you will add this new look to the mac version ASAP, itīs a frustrating user experience when you have different icons for the same things depending on the platform you use. Itīs really basic UI ABC and I hope that you will take that into consideration.

Quote:
Originally Posted by policarpo View Post
We do have some longer range plans regarding collaboration but in the meantime, everyone that I work with gets a context. Topics I need to discuss go in the context, which I check the next time I meet with them. :-)

I think the new icons are terrible. I think they look nice, and they look like they belong together, but they function quite poorly as icons because they're not visually distinct from one another.

The first thing the eye sees is shape (be it a word, a letter or an icon), and the shape of all these is boxes, and hidden inside those boxes are the real icons -- which are now tinier than ever, on a low-contrast background.

Here's a test: let your eyes unfocus just slightly and look at the new Omnifocus icons. Seven boxes and one magnifying glass.

Now go to your iTunes app and click the "more" link in the bottom right corner. Try the same thing -- because every one of those is a high-contrast icon in a completely different shape, you'd be hard-pressed NOT to be able to tell those apart, right? That should be your goal. Because this is a mobile interface, and a tiny one at that, your icons need to be legible at a glance, not after careful scrutiny.

Last edited by avandelay; 2010-06-26 at 05:28 PM.. Reason: elaboration

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicolas_Thomsen View Post
@Brian - could you just please ask the guys why they didnīt change the search icon as well? It makes no sense in itīs current form when all the other icons are put into grey squares.
... grey squares which all look alike, you mean. The search icon is the only one recognizable by its shape.

Quote:
Last but not least I really hope that you will add this new look to the mac version ASAP,
Please, no.

Last edited by avandelay; 2010-06-26 at 05:36 PM.. Reason: softening tone :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by avandelay View Post
I think the new icons are a lot less legible. The first thing the eye looks for is the shape of a graphic (be it a word, a letter or an icon), and the shape of all these is a square.
While I agree in principle, I personally have absolutely no trouble distinguishing the new icons from one another. I didn't mind the old ones so much, but I think I actually prefer the uniformity of the new icons. I like the simple, stark aesthetics of the new app icon as well -- nice rebranding.

-Dennis

PS - iOS app icons are all the same shape and size as well, yet users don't seem to have trouble telling them apart, do they? Even ones with similar background colors (e.g. Safari, Weather, Stocks, and App Store) seem different enough to tell them apart at a glance.

Last edited by Toadling; 2010-06-26 at 07:17 PM.. Reason: Added postscript