The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Identifying a nested project in Review Perspective Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hi,

This may be a stupid question but is there a way to make a project shows its position in the hierarchy when reviewing it? For instance showing the full path as the context typically does when its nested?

I use a number of folders within my project library to break up my projects into the separate areas of my live - home, work, freelance etc. and also within these folders to break them down further if necessary. The majority of these folders also contain a single action list called Miscellaneous, into which I can drop odds and sods that don't require a full blown project.

This is where the problem occurs. When I go to the review view I generally end up with multiple Miscellaneous projects waiting for review with no easy way for me to work out if this is the Miscellaneous single action list in Home or the Miscellaneous within the Customers folder within Work.

Is there an easy way to help with this? How do other people get around this problem?

Any help as always would be gratefully received

Cheers

Giles

I name my single action lists with the parent folder name embedded. So, for example, my single action list under my "Help manage our Household" folder is named "Singleton Actions-House". I actually started doing this in the earliest alphas, when project auto-complete did not consider folder names. I've kept doing it both to disambiguate in reviews and so I can get auto-complete for "housesing" or "singhouse".

Curt

Thanks for the reply Curt, sounds like a sensible approach.

I had hoped there may be an automated way to achieve this in the reviews so I could keep my project names slightly shorter, but its a miner thing and your approach definitely solves the problem.

I wish this was feasible, but I find that it's natural to end up with several identical nested project names, for example when different projects have similar or identical structures. The problem is then that the review mode is almost useless, you have no idea what projects you're really looking at, and can't tell during the review whether a project should be adjusted or not.

I have the exact issue with this as timjervis. Maybe one should post a feature request....

If you wanted to experiment with my Where in OF script for OF 1.8, you could try variations on a shortcut like:
projects where (status is not done) and (next review date < today + 7 * days) --sh cl=f si=all gr=folder
which automatically sets the focus to all (and only) uncompleted projects with a review date within the specified range, while grouping by folder.

In the comment section (after --):
  • sh means a shortcut: (the script jumps straight to this custom view),
  • cl=f clears the existing filters in the active OF window,
  • si=all sets the sidebar filter to all-projects,
  • and gr=folder sets the grouping in the content panel.

(Shortcuts like this can be added to the editable search library which the script displays when it is run, and you can jump straight to the specified view by choosing it from from the menu.)

--

Last edited by RobTrew; 2012-07-17 at 07:25 AM.. Reason: Added a cl switch to the example

Thanks @RobTrew! While that's useful it's no acceptable solution.