The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Custom icon question Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Sorry for what is assuredly a dumb question. But I never deal with icons so I'm a fish out of water here.

I just downloaded a set of custom icons I'd like to be available to use with custom perspectives in OmniFocus. How do I take the set I just downloaded and make them available in the app?

You just open the Perspectives window (Perspectives->Show Perspectives), select the perspective you want to gussy up with an icon, then drag the relevant icon file into the little well at the top of the window. Or you can click on the little disclosure triangle in the well and choose the file (or one of the built-in icon options).

Thank you

The file was downloaded as an icns folder with a bunch of icons in it. The perspectives/icon/choose method doesn't let me select the icns folder.

Any clue how I can import all the icons in that folder? I tried selecting multiple ones but it only allowed me to select one.

Can you post a link?

Here's the page of the icon set I downloaded. Would love to figure out how to get it into OmniFocus.

http://dryicons.com/free-icons/preview/shine-icon-set/

Finally had a chance to get back to this. I downloaded the file, unzipped it, and was able to choose icons out of the resulting folder by the means I described. Not sure why you are trying to select multiple icons or the folder — a given perspective only gets a single icon. I was able to drill down into the folder by clicking the little triangle in the icon well in the Perspectives window, then manipulating the file chooser widget in the usual way.

If you're attempting to extend the list of icons offered up in the icon chooser, it appears you can do so by adding files to the Contents:Resources:PerspectiveImages folder in the application. That probably isn't something Omni supports.

Yep, that's exactly what I want to do, add a folder of icons to the list of my available icons. Basically, I was hoping there's an icon library in OmniFocus to which I could add icon sets, then I could browse them there. Looks like I'll have to find another app to do that, then import individual ones to represent a respective perspective.

Thanks for taking a look at it, much appreciated.

Well, you can add icons, but they'll be commingled with the icons already there. Does look like you can exercise some control over the ordering by choice of file name.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whpalmer4 View Post
Well, you can add icons, but they'll be commingled with the icons already there. Does look like you can exercise some control over the ordering by choice of file name.
How do I add more than one icon at a time? When I click on the little triangle thing and then select 'choose' and go to that folder's list of icons, it does not allow me to select multiple icons. I can only select one icon at a time, which would be a laborious process indeed.

How many perspectives do you have to assign icons to? Why bother adding more than that many? You're still going to have to do a one-to-one operation at some point...

You can shovel icons into OmniFocus' list of available icons by copying files into the application, as I mentioned. With OmniFocus not running, select the application in the Finder, right-click and choose Show Package Contents, then open the Contents folder, the Resources folder in there, and finally the PerspectiveImages folder. Shovel your pile of icon files in there (PDF, PNG, or ICNS all appear to work). Next time you launch the app they should all appear in the list in the icon chooser. I added the checkmark in green circle icon in the picture attached below.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen shot 2012-11-06 at 2.10.04 PM.png
Views:	614
Size:	38.3 KB
ID:	2647