The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniWeb > OmniWeb Feature Requests
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Open Links in a New Background Tab Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
In the Tab & Window Preferences, I have the option of opening links from other apps & opening links to other sites in the current winodow or new windows or tabs. I'd like to be able to choose to open in background tabs (or windows). I know that I can cmd-click and do this, but it'd be great to have the option of keeping my fingers on the trackpad or mouse when I'm doing heavy surfing.

I second that motion. :)

This is one of those relatively simple (as the basic, underlying functionality is already in the app itself) feature additions that has the potential to dramatically increase my enjoyment of OmniWeb.

Quote:
Originally Posted by forum member
In the Tab & Window Preferences, I have the option of opening links from other apps & opening links to other sites in the current winodow or new windows or tabs. I'd like to be able to choose to open in background tabs (or windows). I know that I can cmd-click and do this, but it'd be great to have the option of keeping my fingers on the trackpad or mouse when I'm doing heavy surfing.
So that every link you click opens a new tab?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Hicks
Yeah, that's the idea.

I spend a lot of time referencing multiple pages at once, or opening a large number of pages as I go through a site so I can peruse them at a later time, and I use "Open In New Background Tab" almost exclusively (we're talking >95% of the time.)

I know a number of people who browse this way as well.

It's especially useful when making your way through a large discussion forum. I probably have at least five to seven threads open at different forums at the same time. The graphical tabs are wonderful for making this as painless as possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Hicks
A new background tab, yes.

And ditto on Oblique's comments.

I wanted to bump this. It would be especially useful you could specify it per site.

New tabs and windows open in background should be an option in preferences. This makes it much easier on those of us who prefer this behavior.

I would also very much like to see this option. It is actually one of the reasons I only use OW as a curiosity.

+1

I really like this request. Would be nice if the OmniGroup guys implement it.

Thanks in advance