The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus for iPad
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Eye Candy Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I am very happy with Omnifocus for iPad. It is solid, feature rich, and extremely easy to use. You hit the ball out of the park on this one Omni!

Now, this is not in any way a complaint, but a suggestion for the future.

I would like to see you incorporate more eye candy in the UI. Now that the interaction is amazingly solid, how about adding some of that beauty that certain apps nail? Perhaps some textures and animations to alter the look and feel to a more paper based style. Contacts and Calendar have the type of look that comes to mind. The page turning in iBooks also comes to mind.

Just an idea. In my opinion, this kind of visual design would draw many more customers in and be an incredible pleasure to use.

That being said, the functionality of Omnifocus has to come first. Anything that would interfere with the flow should not be done. Balance is key, but I think it might be possible to do and may very well be financially worth it for you.

Just a thought!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedhogan View Post
I would like to see you incorporate more eye candy in the UI. Now that the interaction is amazingly solid, how about adding some of that beauty that certain apps nail? Perhaps some textures and animations to alter the look and feel to a more paper based style. Contacts and Calendar have the type of look that comes to mind. The page turning in iBooks also comes to mind
Oh god no.. Please don't go down the route of style over substance..

Why do so many apps feel they have to look like an old paper book or a wooden desk when the iPad offers so much more? Haven't they heard of progress, of actually using the tech to it's best effect?

To continually try and emulate low tech is like saying you'd rather cross the atlantic on a steam boat rather than a 777. Perhaps they'd rather have a witch doctor treat them with leeches rather than take an aspirin?

Ok, that's a silly example but the point is we have a cutting-edge touch screen ui and the potential for all sorts of new user experiences to make life easier so why the preoccupation with looking like outdated 'tech'..?

Nobody, including Ted, is advocating style over substance. You seem extremely worked up over his post - not exactly sure why.

I personally would appreciate, after making sure core functionality works, to:

- make better use of multi-touch gestures on the bigger surface to enable iPad equivalents of keyboard shortcuts. Better than lots of buttons, drop-down choices, or incessant dialog boxes, if Omni could enable (even experimentally) some multi-touch gestures to correspond to the most used shortcuts, I'd be super happy.

- include ability for multiple themes, theme/color customization, and yes (gasp!) some eye candy. I'm sure if they do, Omni would allow for the retro flat grey and black theme to be enabled so you can remain happy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BK0001 View Post
Nobody, including Ted, is advocating style over substance. You seem extremely worked up over his post - not exactly sure why.
Not Ted's post especially, just the topic. Let's just say in my last job I had a constant running battle with my boss who didn't have a clue about software but who insisted on fluff and blue sky ideas over core functionality. Made us look daft in front of customers on many occasions and it's been a bit if a sore point ever since!

:)

RiK,

I completely agree with you about the cheesiness of trying to copy real world objects. Can't stand the litany of todo apps that try to look like an appt book.

That said, going further down the core animation and multitouch path can lend to a more organic experience, adding visual cues and utility that would add significant value. IMO.

I'm all in favor of functional animation and good aesthetics.

If you think that OF/iPad has no graphical flare, I suggest you start by looking at classic, pre-X MacOS, around System 7. Rich UI with many widgets, primarily 1 bit black and white. That is an example of no flare.

Now, look at each functional element on OF/iPad. Flag some items. Look at where there are curves and shadows and color changes. They may be subtle, but there are a *lot* of things like that. IMHO, they've got the balance pretty good.

I consider myself happy with the aesthetics. I think they did a great job. There are a few areas where I'd like to see some functionality / workflow improvements. A home button, clear disambiguation between projects and actions, one tap "add action to this project" instead of pressing and holding. Though I have to admit that I am impatient, and genuinely dislike virtually all delayed action gestures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedhogan View Post

I would like to see you incorporate more eye candy in the UI. Now that the interaction is amazingly solid, how about adding some of that beauty that certain apps nail? Perhaps some textures and animations to alter the look and feel to a more paper based style. Contacts and Calendar have the type of look that comes to mind. The page turning in iBooks also comes to mind.
Funny, I thought this was going to ask for less eye candy! There are too many things going on.

I'm liking the app, and looking forward to the 1.1 (etc.) updates, but can't help but feel that screen real estate could be better utilized.

And from my experience, most people don't understand multitouch. The discoverability is nearly nil, so either everyone reads a manual or you expose via a button/other UI anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandall10 View Post
That said, going further down the core animation and multitouch path can lend to a more organic experience, adding visual cues and utility that would add significant value. IMO.
Yup, totally agree with you on there. We have a whole new user interface available to us with the iPad and it's great to see apps take full advantage of the tech rather than try to emulate something 'traditional'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopi View Post
I'm all in favor of functional animation and good aesthetics.
No argument from me there :)

Quote:
Now, look at each functional element on OF/iPad. Flag some items. Look at where there are curves and shadows and color changes. They may be subtle, but there are a *lot* of things like that. IMHO, they've got the balance pretty good.
Agreed again. As I've mentioned elsewhere I think there's a bit too much wasted space and some elements are too large but that's just personal opinion.

Quote:
A home button, clear disambiguation between projects and actions, one tap "add action to this project" instead of pressing and holding.
+1