The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniOutliner > OmniOutliner 3 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

How to open plist files with OO? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I am new here and came because of a specific need/question.

QUESTION:
How can I open plist files with OO? OSX (10.6) User>Library>Preferences>Plist files. I have tied it on my MBPro but the plist files are grayed out when I use Open.

Is there a script or add on that will allow this. A co-workers MacBook Pro does open his plist files with OO.

The story:
Our organization is setting up a secure email system and requires a strange port number. Most of the co-workers that I help have been successful. One was not. After some time working with settings in Apple's Mail to no avail, I double clicked the User>Library>Preferences> apple.mail Plist.

This fellows MacBook Pro (10.6) opened the plist in OO, and everything on the file was well organized. I have never seen this before. It was so organized that I quickly spotted the error in the plist that was different from his Mail account settings - and corrected it. OO saved it and the port worked from that moment on.

When I returned home (an hour away) I downloaded OO on my laptop and tried it, (for use in OSX 10.6) but it does NOT open Preference plist files. I can open them in TextEdit on my laptop, but in TE, it is just plist code that it is very hard to read, especially if long, and that makes it hard to find things such as the port preferences, which was his problem.

OO on my coworker's laptop worked fine with the plist files and it opened automatically when I clicked on it. He purchased the laptop back in the spring from Apple with several added on software, but he was unaware that OO was on his computer. He does not know what OO is - in fact. He doesn't think it came over from his migration of the old computer but it could have.

But the question is: Does anyone know how I can get OO to open Preference>Plist files? They are grayed out when I do "Open" and point to the plist. I love the organization that OO gives to plist files for viewing.

Thanks

HLee
Japan

Last edited by leehljp; 2010-07-14 at 11:48 PM.. Reason: correct punctuation

Just go to the file, open the context menu (right click or control-click), and select "open with..." and then select omniloutliner

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolian View Post
Just go to the file, open the context menu (right click or control-click), and select "open with..." and then select omniloutliner
Duh me! Because it was grayed out when trying to open through the menu item "Open", I didn't think to go that route. Thanks. It works and I will now purchase OO just for this alone.

OO does an amazing job of organizing the plist data into readable and understandable format - especially for long plist files.

THANKS!