The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The format of single actions Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I'm puzzled why, in a single action list, the font of some actions is gray and the actions are unavailable. (They do not have start dates.) The font of other actions, in the same list, is correctly blue. However, the correctly color-coded blue actions are also underlined. What does that mean?

The ones that are gray -- maybe they don't have contexts or their start dates are in the future?

The blue ones being underlined -- maybe you turned on underlining by mistake? As far as I know, the defaults don't use underlining for any of our styles. Select one of the blue underlined tasks and type cmd-U and see if it goes away.

Thanks, Lizard.

Re the blue, underlined single actions: When I selected one and pressed command-U, the underlining did not go away, but became darker, on all the blue actions, as if the text was underlined twice. Next I went to Format>Font>Show Fonts where, sure enough, underlining was selected. When I changed the underlining selection to none in the Fonts Panel, the underlining on all the blue single actions disappeared. Yea!

Re the unavailable gray single actions, none of them have start or end dates, and they all do have contexts. So they should be blue and available, right? For what it's worth, if I try to "force" a gray single action to be available by setting its start date to yesterday, it stubbornly remains gray and unavailable.

Last edited by alvarado; 2008-01-22 at 04:11 PM.. Reason: Keep thinking of more details. (I'll try to edit less in future.)

Maybe the Context assigned to those actions is "On Hold"?

Thanks, Toadling, you are absolutely right! I guess I've had my "duh" moment for the day.

He he. We've all been there. Glad it was something simple.

I had a project with all the remaining actions colored gray. There were no blocking or date issues to explain it. I then displayed all actions, revealing a completed action before the first remaining action. I moved the completed action to the bottom of the sequence, which turned the first remaining action purple. I then moved the completed action back up to position 1. The first remaining action remained purple, as it should be.

Is this a bug, or is there some other explanation?

Hmm, that sounds like a bug to me. Can you reproduce it? If so, you should send feedback to Omni just in case they don't see this thread.

Wow, I'm having what I thought was the same problem. These seemingly random highlighted blue actions just appeared one day and when I click them they open up a new, identical, Omnifocus window. I tried messing with the Font panel (underlining was not selected and won't take the existing underlines away) and now my formating is all screwed up. There are black dots next to all of my actions and everything seems tighter and smaller though the font size wasn't changed. This happened after I clicked Text shadow and then immediately unclicked it (I had highlighted everything in the wondow). help?

Sounds like you've accidentally set your generic action style. You should be able to reset it to the default state by selecting it and then selecting "Clear Style" from the Format menu.

We'll be adding some Style Preferences (probably in 1.1) to make style configuration clearer, and will probably also remove the ability to set them directly in the action outline to avoid accidental changes to them.